Verdigris effect

artu44

This is the surprise I got when I cleaned my last buy, a nice P.C.Co (a Perkins&Cambell marked in short form). In the past I saw leather disks unstitched by verdigris but that old WWI company used a real strong thread. When I pulled out the stud I found a nice compact verdigris disk 1/8" thick.

post-67-1217513418.jpg

Charlie Flick

Artu:

Yes, that verdigris stuff is horrible. I am always fighting a never ending battle with that stuff, which is formed from the chemical reaction between the brass and the chemicals in the leather. Left unchecked it will damage the holster, as you show, and also by staining the leather. It is nasty stuff for which there is no known cure, only constant vigilance and maintenance.

Regards,

Charlie

If you can get at it, usually a tooth pick, a Q-tip and a paper towel will do. Be careful with the verdigris if you have pets, or kids; it's poisonous. Verdigris is subacetate of copper, which is formed when the copper is exposed to the acid in the leather. Anyway, if it's not coming off like you like, Hoppe's No. 9 solvent will disolve it easily. I've dabbed a Q-tip in it and it comes right off. Wash your hands afterwards.

post-70-1217557952.jpg