INFO REQ: Identify hats in photographs

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

I'm trying to determine if the following WW I era caps are makeshift or improvised overseas caps, issued regulation caps for an unknown purpose, foreign caps, or tailor made caps.

Wild guesses, opinions, stabs in the dark, as well as genuine information are all welcome.

Thanks to all for looking, and even better for participating!

This photo was taken at one of the Midwestern training camps sometime in 1918. The soldier is wearing a one piece olive drab cotton set of coveralls often worn by Army mechanics and engineers. Any ideas as to what his headgear might be?

post-5143-0-93399600-1433676048.jpg

world war I nerd

Its possible the cap in the above photo is a baker or a cook's cap, which were typically made from white cotton. Could it be a variant of a kitchen cap made from olive green cotton or blue denim?

post-5143-0-53744500-1433676518.jpg

world war I nerd

Any guesses as to what kind of cap this unusually tall Doughboy from the 35th Division is wearing?

post-5143-0-00240400-1433676606.jpg

world war I nerd

What kind of caps are the two American hospital orderlies loading wounded into a French ambulance wearing?

post-5143-0-92874700-1433676765.jpg

world war I nerd

Any idea what the mystery cap residing on this soldier's head might be?

Also can anyone make out what is pinned or hanging from the front of the cap?

post-5143-0-37499400-1433676890.jpg

world war I nerd

I'm pretty sure that this is a campaign hat minus the brim and lower portion of the crown. Could it be something else?

Remember, in the absence of actual information guessing is encouraged.

post-5143-0-85008900-1433676984.jpg

Interesting post on this unusual head ware. I have several images of one soldier wearing a similar cover. I thought maybe a it was a fez type hat but never really bought into that idea. When reading your post and searching for mine I was thinking could it be occupational head gear? Present day if you took a photo of a construction gang you would recognize the welders by the caps they wear (not 100% but a good % of welders wear the hats).

I am posting three images of Paul Dissinger Signal Corps who is wearing the cap (IMO) of what you posted. The third image may go along with the occupational theory - the brimless skull type cap would be advantageous for motor vehicle drivers (of the era), motor cyclist and air crew. It's a theory, of course this comes from someone who thought it was a fez.

post-154437-0-18165000-1433689491.jpg

post-154437-0-56026400-1433689514.jpg

post-154437-0-45401900-1433689541.jpg

world war I nerd

Nice pics Umac, thanks for posting. Like yourself, I have a number of theories as to what the hats shown might be. For the most part I kept my crazy ideas to myself for the time being as I wanted to hear what other forum members had to say first.

Is there any chance of getting a close up of the cap worn in your left hand photo? I think I know what he's wearing but I can't be sure due to the small size of the posted image.

Guesses - food workers, medical orderlies, etc. who need a functional protection rather than an overseas cap or helmet. And others might be a knit or cloth cap to make wearing a helmet a bit more comfortable.

I have a "beanie" in my collection like the one worn in #6. It was definitely made from a service (campaign) hat.

world war I nerd

12A54 is correct ... it is a French pattern overseas cap with incised front, high crown and pointed corners.

Umac your guy is wearing a French pattern overseas cap with the crown flattened or pushed down flat. This is the first time I have seen a French pattern cap worn this way. The photo shows the flattened French cap (left), a French cap with only the pointed corners pushed in. Many Doughboys wore French caps this way. (center), an un-flattened French pattern overseas cap worn as it was designed.

Cavdoc83 any chance of posting a photo of your campaign hat/beanie?

post-5143-0-44251200-1433725774.jpg

That first guy in the overalls looks like he's wearing a welder's hat. Just a SWAG, I know...

Third Herd

Back in the late 1950's some mechanics wore beanies like in #6. I used to ride my bike to an old repair shop and the owner wore one all the time. That was a long time ago, the thing that I remember most was the most hated couple in town were living in a one room shack behind the shop. The wife showed me the shack and told me to be good and not to get in trouble. The couple was Charlie Starkweather's parents