US Coast Guard Flight Helmet Communications

northcoastaero

northcoastaero

Does anyone happen to know the year the USCG adopted the US Army earphones and communications cable for their flight

helmets? I have seen the USCG APH-6C, APH-6D, SPH-3B, SPH-5CG, HGU-56/P, and MSA Gallet helmets with the Army

comms. I believe there is someone on the forum that has a USCG APH-7 rigged the same way. Images of USCG helmets

before the 1970s would be appreciated also. Thank-you.

I was in the Coast Guard for 29 years, My job was aviation life support /Helicopter Rescue Swimmer. I was in from the mid 80's until last year. Every helmet we got was Navy issued and ordered through the stock system until we went to the blue Coast Guard specific 56/P. We never replaced the wiring with Coast Guard specific wiring, everything came from the factory and in the case of the SPH-5CG, the only thing different than the Navy was that we scratched off the Navy decal and replaced it with a Coast Guard decal. I assume this is the way the Coast Guard has always done it. This would be especially true in the time frame you are curious about. We never had money to make changes like that until after 9-11.

Brad

northcoastaero

Thank-you all for the replies. Croc: Nice APH-7 helmet! I believe the plastic ear cups for the APH-6, etc. helmets were

introduced in 1967? I had an early USN APH-7 that had the foam and leather ear cups and possibly the solid back single

visor housing. I have seen the ear cup discs as early as 1966. Would like to know if the discs were introduced earlier.