WIPS?

F 106 Pilot

F 106 Pilot

This patch came with a group of WW2 era military patches but have not been able to ID it. I did find this Sept 1943 magazine cover but still do not know what it is. Any help? Thank you, Ben

post-4101-0-93552400-1433623580.jpg

post-4101-0-26013700-1433623606.jpg

I think it's "women in public service" and I think it may still exist today as on organization?

Maybe not? What I'm finding seems newer.

Interesting find for sure. I'm curious.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/105832-oddball-patches-can-anyone-id-these/?hl=wips&do=findComment&comment=793274

Looks like someone posted another patch like this one back in 2011. Based on your picture from the magazine article, I don't believe it is for a security guard like the last person in the other thread mentioned. However, the WIPS patch on the magazine is not exactly like the one you posted so they could be for two totally different groups.

I looked thru my Women's reference books and could not find it. I will keep looking. The shoulder patch in the picture has a wheel in the middle and has the words "safety WIPS service". . Whatever this patch is for, I believe the woman on the magazine cover may have served in the Motor Corps.

...Kat

Try contacting iwasm.org . They know a lot about the WASPs, etc. Hopefully they can help.

But wouldn't the Women's Air and Space Museum know about women who served in some type of Air Force capacity and not general civilian work? This appears to be a general type of public service and not any type of military Air Force service.

...Kat

northcoastaero

I understand that the IWASM deals mostly with civil and military women in aerospace. They also have contacts with other

organizations and may be able to point you in the right direction if they do not know themselves. It is worth a try.

northcoastaero

I recently talked with an insignia collector/dealer. He believes that WIPS stands for Women Instructor Pilots Service.

Possibly flying out of Randolph Field, TX before the formation of the WASPS, etc. Also, he had a collection from a WWII

woman pilot and a book that mentioned WIP. I will do some more research. Hope this helps.

firefighter

I recently talked with an insignia collector/dealer. He believes that WIPS stands for Women Instructor Pilots Service.

Possibly flying out of Randolph Field, TX before the formation of the WASPS, etc. Also, he had a collection from a WWII

woman pilot and a book that mentioned WIP. I will do some more research. Hope this helps.

That would be cool if this is the right designation.

Interesting possibility. However the photo on the magazine cover shows a shoulder patch with a winged wheel. That typically is used for ground motor transportation or a messenger service.

• 1 year later...

This has nothing to do with the military and is a home front patch. I will be adding a thread on this next week after doing some nice detective work and finding documentation from a museum in Delaware.

Interesting possibility. However the photo on the magazine cover shows a shoulder patch with a winged wheel. That typically is used for ground motor transportation or a messenger service.

Sometimes magazines tend to inhance or interpret things as well..artists license type thing.The patch on the magazine could be real or it could be an artists conception.Its a great patch on the cover abd would be nice to know if its real or an artists rendition