Vietnam War ARVN Ranger impression

mobilestrikeforce

Looks great. If you add name and U.S. Army tapes, rank, (branch insignia for officers) and ranger qualification badge it would be complete. This uniform pattern was light weight, issued for sure in '66.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPpppppppppppppppp's

My eyes were movng faster than my brain. I was thinking ARVN advisor. Normally you would find a name tape, ranger qualfication badge and rank on the sleeve for enlisted personnel. Officers would wear the same except having their rank on the collar.

Very nice BDQ impression MSF! Im also assembling an ARVN ranger kit. got hold of the camo BDU set and now looking for the beret. Would you know where I can get one (a repro will surely suffice). thumbsup.gif

Very nice BDQ impression MSF! Im also assembling an ARVN ranger kit. got hold of the camo BDU set and now looking for the beret. Would you know where I can get one (a repro will surely suffice). thumbsup.gif

For better or worse, eBay often features BDQ berets that are actually recent reproductions being sold as period items. If you shop long enough, you can pick one up for a reasonable price. If you get one with a funky looking badge, you can always replace it. Same with ARVN Airborne. Just type in key word ARVN and keep watching the listings.

Having given this advice, take a close look at shape and size. Some of the repros are not shaped properly, and some have the badge on the wrong side! Good luck!

For better or worse, eBay often features BDQ berets that are actually recent reproductions being sold as period items. If you shop long enough, you can pick one up for a reasonable price. If you get one with a funky looking badge, you can always replace it. Same with ARVN Airborne. Just type in key word ARVN and keep watching the listings.

Having given this advice, take a close look at shape and size. Some of the repros are not shaped properly, and some have the badge on the wrong side! Good luck!

Thanks for the advise sir. I have actually found one from one of my vietamese contacts-price is us$50 w/shipping. Would that be a fair price for a reproduction?

That sounds a bit high to me. I would have thought more in the $25 range for the beret itself, maybe $35 max.

That said, I knew someone who was selling these as reproductions for $75.

Now, if your source is including a decent looking ARVN Ranger badge, and postage is included.... you could argue for a higher price. Also, if your vendor can promise the correct size and shape, that is worth considering as well. (Many of the reproductions have fake size labels that do not mean anything.)

I took a quick look on eBay and of course since I went ahead and gave you this sage advice, there are no ARVN Ranger berets currently listed. (I am sure if you waited long enough you would see another ARVN Ranger beret show up.)

Just as an example to show you what I am talking about: eBay item 370074929916

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vietnam-War-Vintage-Bl...1QQcmdZViewItem

But even this one is going to cost $40 by the time you pay postage.

I would not pay that much for a reproduction, but if you are getting exactly what you want, then it may be worth the price. Otherwise, I would wait and shop around.

That sounds a bit high to me. I would have thought more in the $25 range for the beret itself, maybe $35 max.

That said, I knew someone who was selling these as reproductions for $75.

Now, if your source is including a decent looking ARVN Ranger badge, and postage is included.... you could argue for a higher price. Also, if your vendor can promise the correct size and shape, that is worth considering as well. (Many of the reproductions have fake size labels that do not mean anything.)

I took a quick look on eBay and of course since I went ahead and gave you this sage advice, there are no ARVN Ranger berets currently listed. (I am sure if you waited long enough you would see another ARVN Ranger beret show up.)

Just as an example to show you what I am talking about: eBay item 370074929916

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vietnam-War-Vintage-Bl...1QQcmdZViewItem

But even this one is going to cost $40 by the time you pay postage.

I would not pay that much for a reproduction, but if you are getting exactly what you want, then it may be worth the price. Otherwise, I would wait and shop around.

Yea i've looked at E-bay but mostly non-BDQ types. $50 covers the beret itself with the ranger oval badge (with shipping). I think the price isnt that hefty...

Go for it then, and don't look back. And know that you are paying a lot less than you would for an original!

I am at a loss why there are no ARVN Ranger berets currently on eBay. I suppose those who make them figured they have saturated the market. I did notice a lot of really funky looking camouflaged berets... go figure!

I do have the following website for you to look at:

http://peacefulpigs.com/catalog/index.php?...amp;&page=2

They do not currently have an ARVN Ranger beret listed, but I am sure they could come with one. And probably at a better price. Good luck!

RANDALL 1953
Go for it then, and don't look back. And know that you are paying a lot less than you would for an original!

I am at a loss why there are no ARVN Ranger berets currently on eBay. I suppose those who make them figured they have saturated the market. I did notice a lot of really funky looking camouflaged berets... go figure!

I do have the following website for you to look at:

http://peacefulpigs.com/catalog/index.php?...amp;&page=2

They do not currently have an ARVN Ranger beret listed, but I am sure they could come with one. And probably at a better price. Good luck!

Gil, Just checked out this site, seems like an honest seller, been looking for a real VC star belt and buckle for a while now. What do you think of the VC star metal buckle and belt they have for $13.68. Have not heard of any of these being reproduced as cost in making I think would be a factor but suppose its possible. Could this be a original unused stock item from 1967?