American Flag flown over Base Hospital №10, Le Treport, France

Mods- please feel free to move this to a more appropriate forum, if necessary.

Well I guess this can be considered a 'find' even though I do not own it. The hospital I work at is huge with a lot of administrative catacombs, etc that I don't usually get to see because I don't normally venture too far from the ORs. Had to go see somebody in admin the other day and imagine my surprise when I see this flag framed in a back hallway, out of sight. I wanted to share it with you all. Thought it's interesting that it has gold fringe, almost like a ceremonial or color guard flag instead of the normal, national flags you usually associate with being theater-flown. Was also a mint 1917 helmet in a case in a tiny conference room. History all over this place; it was the first hospital in the U.S. They also have an original Benjamin West painting. Now just waiting for them to have an auction!

post-123810-14335983055266.jpg

post-123810-14335983153026.jpg

Mike, pretty much every artifact in the place was used/owned by a healthcare/medical personality. I can try to get pics of the helmet if I have time to go back down there. It was your standard M1917 'doughboy' helmet and the placard next to it indicated that it was worn by an Army Nurse while she helped move the wounded near the front lines. One of her uniforms was in the case next to it. The more amazing part to me was that this stuff was in the portion of the facility that it in 'moth balls' so to speak (conference rooms that no one uses, creaky-floored hallways, etc.). Literally forgotten history. I was probably the only person in the past decade that paid any attention to it.

Kyle

Literally forgotten history. I was probably the only person in the past decade that paid any attention to it.

Kyle

Even more of a reason to post it here. I'd be excited to see the uniform and helmet display if you get a chance.

-- Jon

Nice Flag!

Looks like the regimental sized national colors.

Great that they saved a piece of history, most places it just goes in the dumpster.