USN G-1 Flight Jacket named to a Marine Colonel. Thoughts?

USdog

Guys,

I got this one on ebay knowing the damage that has been done to it. I picked it up because of the history associated with it. The Colonel served as a dive bomber pilot at Midway, Hawaii, and Guadalcanal with VMSB-241. I believe he flew the Vought SB2U Vindicator. Later in the war he commanded VMSB-144 stateside. Went aboard the USS Salerno Bay and went to Okinawa after the war. Later served during the Korean and Vietnam War. I believe he retired in 1968. He recieved the Legion of Merit, 3 DFCs, Bronze Star, and 13 Air Medals.

Now for the question, how should I display it? I was thinking maybe a shadow box? Its very dry and brittle with tears, but I put some leather conditioner on it which helped it out. Also, can anyone date the jacket? I'm assuming its late 1950's judging by his rank on the name tag.

post-93633-0-36544100-1433541283.jpg

The Spec. No. 55J14 indicates your jacket was made between 1947 and 1951. The number was changed to MIL-J-7823 in 1951. Of course it could have been worn any time after 1947 so you late 1950s estimate could be right.