Jump to content

RARE OSS Document from POW Camp in Hoten Manchuria

Recommended Posts


I just recently acquired the grouping to the American Col. who was the Adjutant of the Hoten POW camp in Mukden Manchuria.


On August 16, 1945 the OSS dropped a 6 man team into the camp to formalize the Japanese surrender of the camp and to protect the POWs.


This is the ORIGINAL document Major. Hennessey presented to the Camp's Adjutant as his credentials.


I have never seen anything like this before.


I will be posting the Col's group sometime soon.






Link to post
Share on other sites

The prisoners learned that a six-man team from the United States Army OSS had parachuted into Mukden the previous day. This included two Majors, Hennessey and Lamarr; two Sergeants, Edward Starrs and Harold B. Lieth; one Hawaiian-born Japanese interpreter, Corporal Fumio Kido; and one Chinese interpreter, Chen Shih Wu. This latter held a rank equivalent to major in the Chinese army. Two days pervious to their arrival, there was supposed to have been a plane over the area to drop leaflets explaining in Japanese and English the mission of these six men. As it turned out, these leaflets had not been dropped and the OSS team had parachuted into hostile unprepared country. They had landed in a cabbage patch a few miles east of Mukden and were just making arrangements with Chinese farmers to be taken to the Mukden war prisoner camp when Japanese troops arrived in trucks and rushed them with fixed bayonets. Tense moments followed in which they barely succeeded in convincing the Japanese of their peaceful mission. They were put under arrest and taken with all their equipment to a Japanese army headquarters. Here they were questioned and given some rough treatment, and after some time succeeded in getting themselves transported to the war prisoner camp. Here Colonel Matsuda took charge of them and they explained the purpose of their mission, stating that they desired to take over internal control of the camp, set up communication equipment and take certain steps toward completing their mission. The Japanese questioned them at length and conceded to none of their requests. Finally, about 11:00 p.m., the six men were taken to the Yamata Hotel in town for the night. Evidently, during the night the Japanese received news of the armistice and instructions from higher headquarters. The next morning, they agreed to everything requested the previous evening. This was followed by the conference with the generals. Guns and ammunition carried by the six men were turned over to the Japanese guards. Prisoners were allowed rooms in the hospital to be used as headquarters and radio communication equipment, also dropped by parachute, was set up there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I understand, the paper in this group is outstanding as well. Looking forward to seeing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 years later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.