pararaftanr2

Navy Spitfire pilot, a D-Day Remembrance

As found, his RAF C helmet was rigged with RAF ear phones, using the cord from a US ANB-H-1 headset. To do so, because the cord is shorter between the phones than the RAF type, the rubber mountings were modified to accommodate them.

post-9787-0-38330600-1465157009.jpg

post-9787-0-64627300-1465157163.jpg

As previously mentioned, the US made T-44-A microphone was produced to be compatible with British radios, as found on VCS-7's Spitfires, and fitted in some USAAF fighters as well. The example shown below is made by Western Electric Co., as is the one in Hammersmith's A-14.

post-9787-0-80066200-1465157522.jpg

Cool!

Paul will You plan to put some new articles on your site? Very soon will be one year without any news:(

Cheers,

Jerry

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif
donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2019.gif

Paul, I am sure you will want to sell it soon :)

Hi Tom,

You know something I don't?

Yes, I strongly think you want to sell it to me :)

No worries. I actually have to cool down my purchases for a bit...

Bumped to the top for the 73rd Anniversary.

Thanks to Dustin's efforts at the National Archives, here are two more images of VCS-7 in England.

First is some of the pilots getting a lesson in the game of cricket from a FAA officer (far right). Hammersmith is seated on the backrest of the bench with hands folded. Note that he, and several others, wear their RAF 1943 escape boots.

Next is a Fleet Air Arm fitter from the Air Spotting Pool, assisting one of the 40 U.S. Navy ground crewmen assigned to VCS-7 (Louis W. Orsie AMM 3c) with something on a Pool Mk-Vb Spitfire. Note the invasion stripes on wing and fuselage.

post-9787-0-16284600-1496754621.jpg

post-9787-0-74454000-1496754742.jpg

fabulous!

Please visit my website at http://ww2awartobewon.com/ for information about WWII history, stories, news and militaria :D

Looking for WWII personalized or unit marked helmets, combat clothing, Navy and Army flying gear and souvenir items or just interesting stuff.

From a Kingfisher to a Spit, I'd call that a definitive upgrade.

Looking for anything related to Army Ranger Battalions from World War II

A great bit of history well told. New to me. Super gear! Bobgee

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

Great stuff! Glad you bumped it.

Please visit my website at http://ww2awartobewon.com/ for information about WWII history, stories, news and militaria :D

Looking for WWII personalized or unit marked helmets, combat clothing, Navy and Army flying gear and souvenir items or just interesting stuff.

Great history and grouping! Photos are amazing! Thanks for sharing it with us.