'69 dated, USN Utility shirt with in-country RVN tapes and jump wings. SEAL?

Klaxon

Got this off a vintage dealer a few years ago. Never thought much about it. Liked it because of the in-country embroidered tapes and the fact it has jump wings. Looking around the forum for info on SEAL uniforms I came across a few shirts like these that are attributed to SEAL Team members.

Any thoughts?

post-104659-0-32070200-1433294570.jpg

Ghosts of collar insignia. Same black thread on reverse as is used for all zig zag stitched patches.

post-104659-0-83059700-1433295096.jpg

It probably is a Seal Team or UDT uniform from the Vietnam War era as there would have been no Trident in 1969. However a minority of personnel within other naval units (Beach Jumper Unit, Riggers, Inshore Undersea Warfare Group & NGLO) also wore paratrooper wings. I checked the Internet and found a vague reference in the initial search heading of a Jim Dickson associated with Navy Seals but upon opening the specific site I couldn't locate the name. You might want to call the Seal Museum in Fort Pierce, Florida, to see if they can confirm that someone with the last name of Dickson was a Navy Seal or UDT during the Vietnam War. Great uniform by the way and nice find.

• 1 year later...

SOG RT Mamba turned me onto this sailor as being a possibility.

ADJAN-Tommy Dickson

KILO Platoon SEAL Team One (13 jul 1970-9 jan 1971).

Around the right timeline for a '69 dated shirt.

Thanks a lot Joseba for the info.

If anyone has any info on Tommy Dickson please share.

I found online that he's an accomplished sculptor.

Here's a link to his bio.

http://www.thomasdicksonsculpturestudio.com/documents/Resume2010.pdf

Very nice Klaxon. It's always nice when you can document pieces / history. This forum has shown many times before that it is the right place to ask for, and get help.

Thumbsup to Joseba, well done mate.

Best

M

The name, Tommy Dickson, was in fact a member of Kilo plt, he was in one of the squads. He was fairly fresh out of BUD/S.

He would not been a PRU advisor, that is a separate billet and operate separate from a SEAL plt but they HAVE done ops with them. PRU advisors were usually 2nd class petty offices and above and had to go thru Speciall Operations training before becoming an advisor.

There's a Tommy Dickson who served in SEAL Team 1, K platoon from Joseba's post. You said this is NOT the same guy.

There was only 1 Dickson with SEAL Team One.

There WAS some collar rates on the shirt you posted which could have been anywhere from a 3rd class to chief petty officer. The rate for the Dickson with Kilo was an apprentice but he could have gotten a Ho Chi Minh advancement. He only did one tour so this could be after his tour in VN but it could have been for other deployments.

vintageproductions

I have finally gone through and cleaned up this thread.

Let's keep it to just facts, and not personality rubs.

If it goes the wrong way again, I will just delete the whole thread.