Opinions on CW Forage Cap

Does anyone have any thoughts on this forage cap? I picked this up at a sale over the weekend and have no information at all. It was labeled as a reproduction, but I'm unsure of what maker it could be due to the high quality. It obviously has age to it.

The wool is very fine with a tight weave and almost has the feel of being original. Burlap is sewn as a stiffener for the sweatband and the leather chin strap is razor thin. The brim is also a very thin leather? Size is approximately a 7 or slightly smaller. The lining is cotton, but doesn't appear to be a polished cotton. It is coming loose at the rear of the cap.

Thanks in advance

post-12380-0-79254300-1433284197.jpg

post-12380-0-99806000-1433284211.jpg

post-12380-0-01519400-1433284245.jpg

ludwigh1980

Unfortunately, a rein-actors cap that may have some artificial ageing. I knew of a couple guys in GA that could age leather with crazing. In an original, the machine stitching would be farther apart and typically with brown thread. The base material of the cap looks and feels different. Every real one I have seen is so threadbare and salty that I have a fear that it is going to turn to dust before my eyes. Original Civil War garments look their age.

Thanks for the input, guys. I figured I couldn't go wrong with the cap since they only wanted a couple of bucks.