8th Air Force Nose Art Painted German Helmet

GeneralLucas

GeneralLucas

I should have gone into greater detail when I did this post on this helmet. The later addition of Lord's name a Major Klette's crew which may have been the best in the squadron is done with the same paint as the addition of the 91st Bomb Group and the Group's location which is mispelled. This helmet was shown to author Robert Dorr before he published the book MISSION TO BERLIN which is excellent and Lord's picture is on the back book cover. The collector that had this helmet did so much research on it but the women who had the helmet passed away and he could not find out the name of the airman who had the helmet and Corporal Charles Busa is deceased also. Lord must have known leading the raid with the German flak ready for them, his chances were grim even with his crew, Zenz with 104 missions, McCall with 80 and Holbrook 78. I was freinds with the pilot Bob Roach of the B-17 Sweet Dish that was on that raid and he gave me his Russian blood chit, his uniform and many bombing pictures including the one in this post on the raid on Berlin.

• 1 month later...

I have found out some information reguarding this helmet today by visiting the 91st Bomb Group web site. What was confusing is that the nose art was of the Yankee Belle and the list of names that were listed were flying another B-17 without nose art (Col. Lord and crew). Why was this helmet painted with this combination? The answer is that on the mission the 91st Bomb Group had only two planes shot down, Yankee Belle and Lord's B-17 both of the same squadron by chance. This helmet is painted to honor that Berlin mission. Here is the piece of the puzzle: Click here: 324th Dailies from 1945 - 91st Bomb Group (H)

Squadron Losses: 2 ships and 18 personnel. Group Losses: 2 ships and 19 personnel.
Remarks: Our squadron furnished the lead squadron of the group in a great air assault against the Reich capital,
Berlin, two A/C were lost in the group on this mission and both unfortunately were from our squadron.
The lead ship was hit over the target by a direct burst of flak and was reported breaking into two pieces,
the split coming about in the mid-section of the A/C. Four chutes were reported leaving the ship. This
lead crew was a loss to the group and squadron of highly trained personnel. The second ship lost was
piloted by Lt. Thomas C. Martin and no information, except that the A/C was hit over the target by flak.
Note by transcriber: Actually the second ship lost was piloted by Lt. G. F. Miller, not Lt. T. C. Martin.

• 4 weeks later...

Actual photo on the raid, this B-17 is Yankee Girl 43-37844

Squadron markings "DF"

That is the same squadron as the "Memphis Belle" --- DF-A.

I wonder if Yankee Belle was in the documentary film??