Bob Neary Stalag Luft III book

B24AT6

I just picked this up recently and I have found it to be a really neat look at life in the life of a POW. The book is made up of illustrations done by Mr. Neary during his time in the camp which are accompanied by personal stories and descriptions of the subject of each illustration. It was self published in 1946 with supposedly only 100 copies being produced. This particular copy is signed by the author addressed to his Aunt and Uncle.

post-41109-0-87281900-1433098799.jpg

post-41109-0-53197600-1433098709.jpg

KASTAUFFER

Believe it or not Neary's actual YMCA " A Wartime Log" POW diary showed up on Ebay. In it were many of the original pieces of artwork used in the book.

I was the #2 bidder and got outbid by some guy from the Island of Crete.

Kurt

Believe it or not Neary's actual YMCA " A Wartime Log" POW diary showed up on Ebay. In it were many of the original pieces of artwork used in the book.

I was the #2 bidder and got outbid by some guy from the Island of Crete.

Kurt

Wow, that would have been an amazing piece to have owned. It is too bad you didn't win, I hope the current owner shows it the same respect you would have.

• 1 month later...

That is a great find! I have been looking for one myself, at a reasonable price. I just picked up a copy of Carl Holmstrom's self-published book Kriegie Life, which is primarily his POW art work of Stalag Luft III. His daughter and wife have also created a web site at www.kriegielife.com. If I can figure out how to add pictures, I will post some of his work.

Bryan