Deco pattern Tri-Tiered or Tri-level Wing 1939-1940 Wing - Amcraft? Orber?

Another shot of the fletching surface with the beautiful organic feel and look. The wings attributed to Bell made in the Liaison and Service Pilot

wings in particular, noted as Bell because of their pin assemblies, have a disturbed organic surface to their fletching as well,

more pronounced in this.

post-76516-0-07223400-1461267099.jpg

Finally, a shot of the superior view showing the marked presence of the 3 tiers of fletching on these beautiful wings... There will be more to come

, with the comparison shots with the later Orber design wings etc., as I get time. Thank you again MGHCAL, for making this possible

with your diligent collecting efforts and willingness to allow me this opportunity from your most excellent collection.

I contacted MGHCAL and he has agreed to allow me to share the information regarding the pilot who wore the silverplated brass flat base shield wings.

That information will be forthcoming when I am provided with it...

Thank you Gentlemen and Lady Collectors and Blessings to You All As Always, in Your Collecting and Preservation of History...

post-76516-0-13732300-1461267323.jpg

By the way, frames number 91 and number 97 show most evidently the staircase affect at the ends of the fletching on the rear of the Dexter wing on both the sterling and the silver plated brass, which reveals the identical die used for both the silver plated brass and the sterling

flat base shield wing...

5thwingmarty

Here are a couple more photos of men wearing the wings. The first is from the George Field book for class 44-B:

post-96854-0-21277600-1461332707.jpeg

5thwingmarty

The second was from the George Field Wings Over America (blue) book. I tried last night to find a larger portrait of General Brett that more clearly showed his wing but came up empty. I also looked in another couple of Wings Over America books for a better photo of him but the ones I found had him in a different uniform with what looked like a bullion wing.

post-96854-0-96181900-1461332923.jpeg

By the way gentlemen and Lady collectors, I wanted to correct a particular section where I insinuated the Disturbed organic surface is more pronounced in the TTF wings, but I meant to say that the organic Disturbed surface with tiny rounded fissures and ridges, are more pronounced on the liaison and service pilot versions of the supposed Bell wings, just FYI. Any look at the micro level on the surface of those wings, will show the detailed rounded ridges and fissures along the surface. The TTF wings have the very faint beginnings of this in certain places but nothing as pronounced, it is more in the overall design of the Fletching instead of the individual appurtenances set up on the Fletching.

• 3 years later...

I just got this wing and would like to know your thoughts. It is silver plated brass and some of the brass is showing through on the tip of the right wing. The back is marked acid test.

post-180202-0-09355900-1567297405_thumb.jpg

It was most certainly a blessing to find a proper version of the flat based shield wing in this unique version, obviously utilized and very much appreciated by the pilot with his making sure it remained as his primary pilot wing after the pin catch gave out, by obtaining a replacement through a jeweler. Excellent find, very well done.

• 1 month later...

Those are absolutely the same wings and they are splendid, what a wonderful find! Thank you so much for sharing and adding to the record of a rare and sought-after wing type!

Those are absolutely the same wings and they are splendid, what a wonderful find! Thank you so much for sharing and adding to the record of a rare and sought-after wing type!

Thanks and glad to share ! This wing was one of the reasons I bought the grouping. I have his medals, scrapbook, documents ETC. Is a very complete group. I wasnt sure what the wing was worth when I bought it, but I knew it was scarce.

Kurt

• 1 year later...

What a fine opportunity for those newer brothers in collecting who have not obtained this relatively elusive design yet!  A splendid example of the Sterling version of this late 1930s design! It was used as a graduation wing for many in the late 30s as Cliff Presley has made us aware of and is a splendid, multi-tiered fletching design with the complex snowflake rear coverage highlighted by the central lower rear pale of the escutcheon placement of the STERLING mark. A splendid opportunity indeed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194320971595?hash=item2d3e6eb74b:g:8~8AAOSw4GlhKakF

s-l1600 (23).jpg

s-l1600 (22).jpg

16 hours ago, mtnman said:

What a fine opportunity for those newer brothers in collecting who have not obtained this relatively elusive design yet!  A splendid example of the Sterling version of this late 1930s design! It was used as a graduation wing for many in the late 30s as Cliff Presley has made us aware of and is a splendid, multi-tiered fletching design with the complex snowflake rear coverage highlighted by the central lower rear pale of the escutcheon placement of the STERLING mark. A splendid opportunity indeed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194320971595?hash=item2d3e6eb74b:g:8~8AAOSw4GlhKakF

s-l1600 (23).jpg

s-l1600 (22).jpg

that is a very nice set of wings

not to quibble, but I've always felt that this is an early 40's vintage wing.  But this is the COOL variant.  Thanks for sharing it Mel.

BTW, Mel wrote up a FANTASTIC thread about these wings.  It is well worth a read.  We owe Mel a debt of gratitude for his stellar work on these neat wings.

More that you may ever want to know about these wings in this pattern.

The reason I said late 30s is because it was recorded as worn by a class of graduates in 1938 I believe it was, as their graduate wing. I know it was a late 30s anyway!

Hey Patrick!

19 hours ago, mtnman said:

The reason I said late 30s is because it was recorded as worn by a class of graduates in 1938 I believe it was, as their graduate wing. I know it was a late 30s anyway!

In regard to the fact that this badge first appeared in the late 1930s:

First, posted below are photos taken in 1939 of Major Wilfred H. Hardy and Major Charles D. McAllister while they were staff officers at Headquarters, Air Corps Advanced Flying School in Stockton California. Both officers were wearing this same style badge but with a star burst above the center shield for the rating Military Aviator Pilot approved 23 December 1937.  Later, that rating was redesignated Senior Pilot on 20 February 1940.  Major Hardy completed Air Corps Primary School training in 1926 and AC Advanced Flying School training in 1927. Major McAllister completed Air Service Primary School training in 1924 and Air Service Pursuit Course training in 1925.

Second, in his book Aviation Badges and Insignia of the United States Army 1913 - 1946 by J. Duncan Campbell, an identical biographical Military Aviator Pilot badge can be seen on page 23, number 66.  It belonged to Major Walter G. Bryte . . . and is dated on the back 1 April 1939.  Major Bryte completed both Air Service Primary School training and Advanced Flying School, Bombardment Course training in 1926. 

3333.jpg