My Grandfathers WW2 Elgin Ordnance Watch...Where to Repair?

Morlok

I was going through some stuff I had in storage, and re-discovered my Grandfathers wristwatch from WW2. It is an Elgin, marked ORD. DEPT. U.S.A. on the back. When I searched the internal serial number, it was made in 1943. It's in rough shape, but most of it is there. I picked up a NOS Elgin strap, and would like to have it restored. I have found several places online, but would prefer to send it somewhere that a forum member has used, if possible. Any help would be great! Thanks!

TheGrayGhost

Have you checked for local repair shops? I'm sure any place that repairs high end watches will be more than capable of repairing your Elgin. Nice watch BTW!

Try starting at a local mom and pop jewelry store. If they can't make the repair, they'll know how to contact someone who can.

Good luck,

Steve

If you can I recommend opeing the watch and taking pictures of the movement.

Note the serial number on the top plate of the movement.

Many so called watch repair shops will pull that movement out and put in a quartz type from some far East country.

If you do not have the means to open the watch, bring a camara and insist the shop open it in front of you so you can "record" what is in there now.

Forgot the sub-seconds hand. Looks dislodged from its pinion. This is a very simple fix that can be done. If the little hand is still in the movement, it can be "re-attached".

I would not have the dial cleaned or the hands replaced or cleaned. The patena on that thing is great for me.

Pep

crotalus358

Try this guy...he's done a couple restorations for some friends, who have been really happy with his work. I personally saw one watch he worked on, which looked great and functioned like new.

http://www.hackset.net/

Steve

crotalus358

Also, I should've mentioned...watch repair is akin to boots, optics, etc.: you absolutely get what you pay for. That said, I had a one of these and one of the AAF hacksets that I sent to a local jeweler, who didn't have the expertise or access to the proprietary parts to fix the military issue watches.

Good luck!

Steve

bellasilva

Man that's a killer watch, what a great family connected piece. Be sure to show it to us when it's all repaired

Thanks for the replies & info! I'll try to answer the questions...

I did contact a few local shops, but they seem to shy away from the vintage pieces. Not that they are unable to repair them, but because the replacement parts available are not "factory", and they don't want to put their name behind shoddy parts. ...My words, not theirs!! That's the feeling I walked away with, anyway!

The small second hand is missing. I did open the watch & record the number. It looks like the main problems are the second hand, the button on the side is missing, and there is a tiny gear rolling around in the back!

I contacted this gentleman: http://www.elgintime.com/Home

He seems to be very well versed, although his reply was very much an automated reply. I will contact the shop mentioned by crotalus358 above, & see what he says. Thanks again for the advice!

And I agree with Pep...I am not going to have the dial cleaned or hands replaced! I just want to have the movement returned to working order! Even if the repairs exceed the "book value" of the watch, it is well worth it to me, provided they are done correctly. This is the one bring-back that I can pass down without fear. The Luger & belt buckles will be stashed away, sold off or traded, as happens after a few generations. (Not as long as I'm alive though!) But a nice watch will more than likely be kept, due to its small size, even after the personal connection to its original owner has been lost to time. I have a total of 13 choices of who to leave these items to, and only my oldest nephew shows interest. He asks to see everything when he comes over, and I can tell he is the right choice. But, he has (hopefully!) a long wait before these items are his!!

I have used Renaissance Watch Repair and can vouch for them. http://www.pocketwatchrepair.com/ Yes, it takes "time". Yes it will perhaps cost more than the watch is worth on eBay, but that's not your point. I had my Grandfather's Official Railroad watch repaired because of what it was rather than what it was worth.

I have used Renaissance Watch Repair and can vouch for them. http://www.pocketwatchrepair.com/ Yes, it takes "time". Yes it will perhaps cost more than the watch is worth on eBay, but that's not your point. I had my Grandfather's Official Railroad watch repaired because of what it was rather than what it was worth.

Thanks! I'll check them out!

What RailRoad did your Grandfather work for? I'm a Railroader, so RR items are always neat to hear about!

phantomfixer

Matthew,

if you come up Saturday, there is a watch repair shop right down the street...old guy and as I understand it, he learned his trade during WWII or there after...bring it up see what he can do..???

John

Matthew,

if you come up Saturday, there is a watch repair shop right down the street...old guy and as I understand it, he learned his trade during WWII or there after...bring it up see what he can do..???

John

Good to know! I'll bring it with me & stop in. After all, I'm sure I'll be making regular trips up there...you'll probably see me more than my wife this summer! Anything you want me to keep my eye out for at the Reading show tomorrow? I have a running list of about 20 items for other people...sort of a regular thing when I go up there!!

phantomfixer

one B-17 would be great.....but the fuel bills would kill me.....enjoy the show....I kinda miss going up there at times...

Bill in VA

There's a guy at the Show of Shows each year who repairs and sells WW2 Ordnance Dept. watches. He refurbishes them to like-new condition. I'll have to find last year's program to get his/contact info, but he's been there for some years and is a pretty well respected watch guy. Whatever you do, do not pop the back cover off and definitely don't 'eff about inside if you don't know exactly what you're doing. Leave this one to the professionals.

So is the sun...don't go outside during daylight!

Very funny! The amount of radiation is quite different.

Thanks! I'll check them out!

What RailRoad did your Grandfather work for? I'm a Railroader, so RR items are always neat to hear about!

Engineer on the Illinois Central from Effingham to Indianapolis. ~1915 - 1940/41. It looks like he bought the best watch he could afford, in the cheapest case he could find: a Ball-Hamilton, 23 jewel, 16S.