Stalag Luft III medallion/coin

B24AT6

I have had this for quite some time now, and I have never really been able to figure out what it is. I have seen one other in the 8th Air Force Museum in Savannah, GA but they do not identify what it is other than it is somehow connected to Stalag Luft 3. If anyone knows what it is I would love to know!

post-41109-0-90648800-1432771812.jpg

post-41109-0-68405300-1432771814.jpg

Interesting piece! Wish I could help you out but I've never seen one before; someone on

the Forum must have seen one though......................

thats something ive seen a few times and have seen others with "stalag VII A" "evacuation of sagan" things like that. they are believed to be given to some POWs but they are very uncommon that even experts dont know what exactly they are for

KASTAUFFER

These were made after the war and were sold at Stalag luft III reunions from what I understand. These were not made in POW camps.

Kurt

• 4 weeks later...

I had a bunch of them and sorry to have sold them off many years ago but they were made as souvenirs after the war for the men who were in the camps. Mostly Stalag 3 but there are other's out there. They don't show up much these days but when they do, someone grabs them fast. They are collectable.

• 3 weeks later...

Those are fantastic! I have seen several of the other reunion type of mementos but not those before. Thanks for sharing the information and pictures.

Bryan

• 2 weeks later...

I have one as well, given to me by my dad who was shot down in May of '44. I remember him using it as a key chain in the 60s. The story he told me was the mold for the medallion was carved out of a piece of wood by a POW who obviously had a talent for this sort of thing. After the war the mold was cast and and medallions were sent to those who had placed an order for one.

Bob Berry