USMC Bell Crown, named

MurfreesboroMemphis

MurfreesboroMemphis

So I was just looking at my latest buy and discovered that it was quite clearly marked with the Marine's name. I didn't realize it when I bought the cover and suspected that it wouldn't be so a great find! What do you all think the initials are? I'm having some difficulty deciphering them.

post-19889-0-41750300-1432768614.jpg

If you search the last name on ancestry, you could use the rest of his name to narrow it down

MurfreesboroMemphis

I did that. There's a Leo, a Ralph, a William, a Vincent, and an Edward. I don't think it looks like any of those but Ralph is the only real possibility I guess. His middle initial is E which I don't feel looks like either initial. I'm pretty bad at these things though.

all with the middle initial 'E' and in during the appropriate era?

I can't even make out the last name in the image? Ta.nner?

MurfreesboroMemphis

In person it appears to be Trainer. As for the names, it's Leo G., Ralph E., William H., Vincent J. and Edward F.

MurfreesboroMemphis

There appears to be a Ralph E. Trainer and a Ralph E. Trainor. I thought they were the same dude but after digging through the muster rolls I realized it had one as WIA June 8, 1918 and one Enlisting May 1918.

MurfreesboroMemphis

Anyone else have any speculation as to what the name is? Or the initials?

The first letter closely resembles "R" in Trainer, so I am in the Ralph E Trainer camp unless you find another R E Trainer.

MurfreesboroMemphis

Assuming it's Ralph E. Trainer which I tend to think it is:

-He enlisted 29 May 1918 and is listed as being in Company U. at Parris Island, South Carolina. He is here until July 1918.

-He then transfers to Supply Co. Marine Barracks Parris Island that same month. He remains with Supply Company through November 1918.

-November 1918 he is transferred to Company C. 11th Separate Battalion, MB, Quantico, Va.

-Transfered to 182nd Company, 15th Regiment, MB, Quantico, VA.

-In February 1919, he is transferred to 24th Company, Marine Barracks, Naval Station, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

-In December 1919, he is in Marine Barracks, Navy Yard, Charleston, South Carolina. I'm guessing this is where he is discharged as this is the last records in the muster rolls.

Steve Rogers

For what it's worth I like "Trainer" as well. The first initial certainly touchs the baseline at two points, so from your list of possible names an "R" or a "W" are the only possibilities and I don't think it flares enough at the top to be a "W." In the lower line the first initial seems to touch the baseline at three points, but I think the third is actually a period. The second initial in that line looks very much like the top portion of an "E."

MurfreesboroMemphis

Steve, I think you made some very good observations. After reading your post and looking at the stamp, I'm much more confident that it is R. E. Trainer. It's always hard to make the call on the name as you research it when, I think, the natural tendency is to try and convince yourself that the owner is the person who has the most material available to research. Thanks for the input.

-Will

MurfreesboroMemphis

Tried it. The difference in the image is minimal and doesn't shed any light, sadly.