WWII USAAF AMICO full size Pilot wings, opinions wanted!

tomcatter

Hi Guys,
what are your thoughts about these AMICO Pilot wings?

The AMICO logo looks smaller than usual.
Thank you for looking!

post-104661-0-76068600-1432711902.jpg

They look fine to me and seem to have honest wear I'd buy them. The hallmark does look smaller but it seems there is quite a variety of amico hallmarks in varying sizes and styles.

• 2 weeks later...

I took better photos of the wings. They look like vintage, but they show also many flaws and odd features:

-no thin vertical lines between large lines (lower shield part)
-flaws on horizontal lines (upper shield part)

-huge flaw in the upper edge of the shield, look like damage

post-104661-0-70473500-1433925238.jpg

post-104661-0-38249500-1433925247.jpg

Ditto with Mike.

you can look at something too closely sometimes. Remember, these were mass produced in the 100's of thousands over many years. There will be flaws, but this wing looks fine. I wouldn't worry too much.

MAY I ALSO ADD SOMETHING--- THESE WW2 WINGS WERE DIE STAMPED-- AM I RIGHT? AND A GREAT DEAL OF PRESSURE WAS APPLYED AT PRESSING TIME. IS IT SAFE TO SAY THE TOP EDGES SHOW DIE MARKS FROM THAT PRESSURE IN THE FORM OF LINES WHEREAS THE CAST REPROS DO NOT HAVE THIS FEATURE.

TC, YOU HAVE THE MAKINGS OF A VERY SKILLED WINGMAN INDEED.The detail with which you were concerned and the level of intent to exactitude and concentration in your perusal of the wing are the exact traits which facilitate building visual images of each type of wing regarding the key points which must be extant and the areas where an acceptable standard deviation is to be allowed in respect for each wing's individual fingerprint. Well done Tomcatter.... Well done.

Thank you very much guys, I know very little about AMICO wings and every new info is welcome! :-)

About the little damage on top: maybe these wings were originally Senior or Command (just my two cents)?

post-104661-0-13022200-1433959889.jpg

Thank you very much guys, I know very little about AMICO wings and every new info is welcome! :-)

About the little damage on top: maybe these wings were originally Senior or Command (just my two cents)?

TC, this extra metal is sometimes left after the wing is struck, as was noted before, with tremendous force. The metal, at that force is like paper and is shredded into wavy extraneous edging around the wing sometimes. I have seen this on everything from Luxenberg to Angus and Coote to Smilo. Nothing to worry about buddy. If there were a star brazed to the top at the tips of the star points, you would see tiny piles of the brazing compound where the tips were attached to the top of the shield. This extraneous wavy metal is from the striking process alone. The worn away silver from the bars in the Chief of the Shield is simple wear or a light strike and the lack of lines between the pallets vertically is the choice AMICO made in their design, there are various designs to the troughs between the pallets TC, some "pebble" the surface, some place a matrix of dots, some lines etc. Hope this helps My Friend...Blessings as Always in your collecting!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...