308th INF trunk

easterneagle87

easterneagle87

Was in a local antique store today and came across a trunk. OF COURSE I DIDN'T BRING MY CAMERA!, Any-ways...there was a trunk there, named to a 1st LT and said, 308th INF. Blond moment, as it wasn't painted OD green, but a pale blue. Didn't ask what they wanted as I was searching for a graduation present. Silly, not to think of ME!

Got home and googled, 308th and ..ta..da.."The Lost Battalion"

I will go back and get some snaps, but is anyone seeking 308th stuff? Jingle me back if so. I don't mind bird dogging for a good cause.

Was in a local antique store today and came across a trunk. OF COURSE I DIDN'T BRING MY CAMERA!, Any-ways...there was a trunk there, named to a 1st LT and said, 308th INF. Blond moment, as it wasn't painted OD green, but a pale blue. Didn't ask what they wanted as I was searching for a graduation present. Silly, not to think of ME!

Got home and googled, 308th and ..ta..da.."The Lost Battalion"

I will go back and get some snaps, but is anyone seeking 308th stuff? Jingle me back if so. I don't mind bird dogging for a good cause.

There is a lot of interest in the The Lost Battalion. ..but how much of that translates into trunks...I'm not sure. I would Google his name and see what comes up...not all companies are of the lost battalion fame.

• 3 weeks later...
easterneagle87

Went back to antique shop and got a shot of the trunk. Question now is, was he a member of this famous unit.

post-9131-0-29125400-1434224570.jpg

P-40Warhawk

I don't think Company M was actually considered part of the 'Lost Battalion', but it seems Lt. Sullivan was wounded around that time. He was also a DSC recipient:

Sullivan, William O. ... First Lieutenant

308th Infantry. For extraordinary heroism in action near Chevieres, France, October 14th, 1918.

After this company commander had been seriously wounded and he himself wounded in the head

by a machine-gun bullet, Lieutenant Sullivan continued to lead and encourage his men until wounded

the second time. He then continued in command of the company until ordered to be evacuated by his

battalion commander. Home address, Mrs. Martha J. Sullivan, mother, Norwood , Colo.

The unit history records that at that time the company came under heavy MG and shell fire.

If the price were reasonable, I think I would go back for it. :)

easterneagle87

No contents. That would be too good.

The question has been proposed, "if the price is right," what would make the price right to ya'll?