WAC Shoulder Patch

steevo

Can anyone tell me if the Wac's wore any type of shoulder patch such as 10th armored, 29th infantry, 101st airborne or maybe even a service command patch? Or did they have their own specialty type patch?

WACs wore the shoulder sleeve insignia of the command to which they were assigned. In WWII I don't believe any of the combat formations like the ones you mentioned had slots in their Table of Organization for female personnel.

WACs were typically assigned to corps, armies, theaters, base commands, service commands, etc. I have seen WAC uniforms with patches such as 8th Air Force, 3rd Army, V Corps, etc. sewn on.

• 1 year later...

They don't wore patches like that. But for example I have a pictures where Wacs have a 9th Armored Division patch, but it will be only for book about Wacs jobs, I guess.

• 3 weeks later...
memphis_belle

As for the 101st Airborne Division, I know that there were only two women (WACs) who were assigned to Division Headquarters and became the only women to wear-officially- the Screaming Eagle insignia (including patches). They were Capt. Ann D. Neal and 2nd Lt. Kathryn Martin.

14040039_1030238937072451_42710546422542

As for the 101st Airborne Division, I know that there were only two women (WACs) who were assigned to Division Headquarters and became the only women to wear-officially- the Screaming Eagle insignia (including patches). They were Capt. Ann D. Neal and 2nd Lt. Kathryn Martin.

Great picture and info! Thanks for posting....Kat

I love it, but is post war, July 1945 :/

I have some Wacs with armored patch, unfortunately I can't post image there.

But in a few months I will add a separate post.

While VE day was on May 8, 1945, VJ day was not until Sept 2, 1945. Therefore, technically, July 1945 is not post WWII.

....Kat

• 4 weeks later...

A great photo. I understand what you mean; it would be interesting to see such a photo dated before the end of the war in Europe.