Movie with army using marine covers

denfly

I was watching a Korean War movie with Robert Ryan as a Lieutenant and Aldo Ray as a SSG (can't think of the name of the movie) and noticed the army characters were wearing marine covers on their M1 helmets. Is this a flub on the movie part or did the army actually use this type of camo during the Korean conflict? I have never seen pics of army service members wearing camo covers during that era.

Not common to see Marine covers but possible.

There is a photo of WW2 6th Rangers in the Pacific wearing USMC covers.

In Korea the 2nd Division could be seen with a variety of covers in the unit history Second to None 1951-52.

A more common cover seen used was a burlap or cover made from sand bags.It appears the officers cut out the area in the cover to display rank.

Major Gen.John C Fry wearing a cover made from parachute material.Intresting to see he has a German Luger as well in his shoulder holster.Probably a souviener fron his WW2 days.His cover looks like camo parachute material

post-342-0-43121600-1432702172.jpg

Pattern here looks close to a USMC cover but could be camo parachute material.I will have to look closer at the original photo for a front seam.Here the front is cut for rank as well

post-342-0-53750900-1432702290.jpg

The burlap I'm familiar with, it's the camo's that gets me. Interesting way to "recycle" parachute material Doyer. When I was in the army, I would use the patch of the camo scatter netting on my M1. That's the netting used to conseal areas such as artillery, bunkers, aircraft and HQ areas.

One More From a Movie

post-34986-0-88789100-1362687138.jpg

post-34986-0-25093200-1362687171.jpg

An image from the 1949 movie Home Of The Brave with Lloyd Bridges, James Edwards, Frank Lovejoy et al, We see in both photos the USMC Camouflage Cover being worn, strange these men were Army Soldiers. A movie that takes place in the South Pacific presumably towards the end of the Solomons Campaign like late 43 into the winter of 1944, it can be in theory these troops may have begged borrowed, or stolen these Gyrine Covers

Photos came from this topic denfly, ever see it?

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/125061-some-hollywood-helmets/

Kinda odd since most of the actors were veterans of WW2 so you would think they would point out these discrepencies.

sgtdurango posted a group of helmet he got a while back.In the group is a USMC cover with a hole cut out as to show the rank beneath it.Im thinking in theory this was a army used cover in Korea as you tend to see the army do this on the covers they utilized of various types.Maybe he will post the picture here just for discusiion.I didnt want to snatch his photo.

The cover(sgtdurangos) looks like the one in post 37 worn b Lt.Col Rankin.Right down to the sewn reinforced hole.

Kinda odd since most of the actors were veterans of WW2 so you would think they would point out these discrepencies.

True...but there again they are veterans and not "collectors".

There were also vets in the movie Sands of Iwo Jima.Even three of the 2nd flag raising group.

I recall there were former servicemen in the LOngest Day as wel and look how hokey the jump jackets and things were.Just a diferent time.They were more concerned with telling a story or the drammatics of it more so than the costumes.

• 2 months later...

In the MASH Television show Marine helmet covers were seen quite a few times. Here's North Korean spies wearing them :D. Lets see, who else wore one, ah, Burns, O'Reilly, and Winchester, all three wore a helmet with a Marine cover on it a one time or another.

post-34986-0-04813600-1440219666.jpg

Just watched over-actor Nicholas Cage screw up a movie ostensibly about the Navajo codetalkers, but really about Cage's character.

He was supposed to be a Marine but he always wore a net over his camo helmet cover: I'd thought the nets were an Army thing. And, I believe he was wearing camo at Guadalcanal.

Yeah, in the movies, it doesn't even have to be close to be good enough.

I'm sure the wardrobe department loved the Marine camo covers because they added some visual interest to an other otherwise olive drab world.

Just watched over-actor Nicholas Cage screw up a movie ostensibly about the Navajo codetalkers, but really about Cage's character.

He was supposed to be a Marine but he always wore a net over his camo helmet cover: I'd thought the nets were an Army thing. And, I believe he was wearing camo at Guadalcanal.

Yeah, in the movies, it doesn't even have to be close to be good enough.

I'm sure the wardrobe department loved the Marine camo covers because they added some visual interest to an other otherwise olive drab world.

he definitely ruined that movie

Ah there is a real basis for nets over camo covers at least in the WWII Marine Corps guys, not wide spread to be sure, but here's but one photo of it on one guy :D. Wasn't the early scene with Cage wearing the net on Tarawa, or I'm I confused with Sands of Iwo Jima, which first showed the Battle of Tarawa?

post-34986-0-94291500-1440222791.jpg

Not common to see Marine covers but possible.

There is a photo of WW2 6th Rangers in the Pacific wearing USMC covers.

In Korea the 2nd Division could be seen with a variety of covers in the unit history Second to None 1951-52.

A more common cover seen used was a burlap or cover made from sand bags.It appears the officers cut out the area in the cover to display rank.

Major Gen.John C Fry wearing a cover made from parachute material.Intresting to see he has a German Luger as well in his shoulder holster.Probably a souviener fron his WW2 days.His cover looks like camo parachute material

attachicon.gif2015_0526milstuff329130010.JPG

Pattern here looks close to a USMC cover but could be camo parachute material.I will have to look closer at the original photo for a front seam.Here the front is cut for rank as well

attachicon.gif2015_0526milstuff329130012.JPG

Jeez!!....when i saw that photo of the Col. i almost fell off the couch....i will post a photo of the cover i have..your not gonna believe it but the guy i got it from said it came from a Cols. yardsale and it looks like the camo patterns line up perfectly with this cover in the photo...will post pics soon!!....mike

No John Woo ruined the movie! especially with his flame throwing explosions. Look at the type of movies he directs, he had no business directing this type of film.

No John Woo ruined the movie! especially with his flame throwing explosions. Look at the type of movies he directs, he had no business directing this type of film.

i suppose that didnt help. but Nicholas Cage butchered it...

USMC-RECON0321

Jeez!!....when i saw that photo of the Col. i almost fell off the couch....i will post a photo of the cover i have..your not gonna believe it but the guy i got it from said it came from a Cols. yardsale and it looks like the camo patterns line up perfectly with this cover in the photo...will post pics soon!!....mike

Look forward to seeing a side by side of the two pictures. That would be awesome and what are the odds?? Better go get a lottery ticket fast with that luck in play!

Troy

Now did anyone believe that a Japanese soldier, even a university educated officer would of been able to tell an American Indian??? Yah like they were on a special look out for them :lol:

He didnt write it, and he wasnt the director who made every hand grenade blast into a Mini Napalm Strike. John Woo did that

He didnt write it, and he wasnt the director who made every hand grenade blast into a Mini Napalm Strike. John Woo did that

true but even with bad explosions, it could have been better without him and his crazy face running around. If someone else had played the part it would have been better.