Blue Backed Diamond Ranger Patch

HOF

This patch recently sold on ebay for $152.50. Does anyone know if it is WWII era as described? I had never seen one, so I hesitated to bid on it. Thanks!

post-151977-0-85046700-1432657745.jpg

I compared it with the original ones in my collection and it's a very well done copy. A tough one for the new collectors... I would say:

- if someone is interested in buying a patch on the Internet, if you have doubts or not, before you should try bidding/buying just post a picture and ask questions here on this Forum!! You can't ask enough question. Even the experienced collector is learning every day.

- Also save clear photos of 100% good original patches on a hard drive for comparison.

- There are plenty of good reference books (see pinned section).

- become member of ASMIC (membership is 25,00 USD a year if you want the digital version of The Trading Post - not much at all if you would think how much you would spend on copies/fakes without knowing)

These lines come back in several of the threads on this Forum.

H.

I compared it with the original ones in my collection and it's a very well done copy. A tough one for the new collectors... I would say:

- if someone is interested in buying a patch on the Internet, if you have doubts or not, before you should try bidding/buying just post a picture and ask questions here on this Forum!! You can't ask enough question. Even the experienced collector is learning every day.

- Also save clear photos of 100% good original patches on a hard drive for comparison.

- There are plenty of good reference books (see pinned section).

- become member of ASMIC (membership is 25,00 USD a year if you want the digital version of The Trading Post - not much at all if you would think how much you would spend on copies/fakes without knowing)

These lines come back in several of the threads on this Forum.

H.

jw1969 is too modest. At the very least you could buy his book, WW II US Made Fully Machine-Embroidered, Cut-Edge, SSI. Author: Hans De Bree. I realize asking some of you to buy a book is asking you to be re-circumcised, but the best way to judge a collection is to look at the collector's reference library. Or join ASMIC. We have published some great articles about the manufacture of patches. For you overseas members, a digital membership is the way to go.

All I had to do was see the stabilizer protruding and I knew it wasn't period. Mr. De Bree's book was an excellent back up. I haven't lost to senility yet.

double canister

I bought a handful of these during the Saving Private Ryan rush at SOS 12 years back or so. One vendor was opening huge boxes of props from the movie, and hundreds of these were at bottom of box. They were backed in blue. I remember thinking that it would only be a matter of time before these began showing up on Ikes, four-pockets, M41s, etc. Guess what?

All I had to do was see the stabilizer protruding and I knew it wasn't period. Mr. De Bree's book was an excellent back up. I haven't lost to senility yet.

Thx D. !!

And I know you haven't :mellow:

I bought a handful of these during the Saving Private Ryan rush at SOS 12 years back or so. One vendor was opening huge boxes of props from the movie, and hundreds of these were at bottom of box. They were backed in blue. I remember thinking that it would only be a matter of time before these began showing up on Ikes, four-pockets, M41s, etc. Guess what?

This explains the high quality of the details ...and for such price, many will follow I guess.