Help ID Combat Medic Ranger 173rd Airborne Sergeant Major BDU?

BDU_Burger_Lover

BDU_Burger_Lover

Howdy everyone. This is my first post on this forum and I thought I would begin by sharing one of my favourite BDU's from my collection and asking for your help in (hopefully) ID'ing its original owner:

post-158610-0-35069300-1432650065.jpg

The jacket came with no name tape on it so I thought I would just add a spare name tape I had at the time, but after reading some topics on this forum and finding out that sometimes name tapes can leave a readable impression on the cloth I went to check and sure enough I was able to read something along the lines of 'chuber'. Based on the alignment of the text, my best guess would be Schuber.

Other than that, the jacket seems to be a hot weather BDU from the 80's, with adjusting tabs at the waist and very light fabric. One label is missing and the other one is almost unreadable, but I can provide more pictures if necessary. The jacket features Sergeant Major rank insignia, a Health Services Command patch topped by a Ranger tab, a 173rd Airborne Brigade combat patch and a Combat Medical Badge, which I believe point to previous service in the Vietnam War, an EIB and Senior Parachutist Wings.

Interestingly enough all the pocket buttons have been removed and the pockets sewn shut. Also the jacket was heavily starched when I picked it up, which made me think it was meant for wear in a garrison environment.

If somebody were able to help me research the original owner I would be most grateful. Please PM me and I will be sure to update this original post with any info provided by fellow forum members. I am sure this jacket must have quite a story to tell!

Thank you in advance and God bless,

Alex

"Interestingly enough all the pocket buttons have been removed and the pockets sewn shut. Also the jacket was heavily starched when I picked it up, which made me think it was meant for wear in a garrison environment."

This was typical of officers and senior NCO's. It gave the uniform a sharper appearance as the pockets tended to billow out in all directions, presenting a very unkempt appearance. Also, if you ironed over the buttons enough times, the fabric covering them tended to wear off, exposing the buttons or at least making an impression of them.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm of no help, but saw this and your others in the BDU thread, and wanted to say those are some nice pieces, and welcome to the forums!

BDU_Burger_Lover

"Interestingly enough all the pocket buttons have been removed and the pockets sewn shut. Also the jacket was heavily starched when I picked it up, which made me think it was meant for wear in a garrison environment."

This was typical of officers and senior NCO's. It gave the uniform a sharper appearance as the pockets tended to billow out in all directions, presenting a very unkempt appearance. Also, if you ironed over the buttons enough times, the fabric covering them tended to wear off, exposing the buttons or at least making an impression of them.

Definitely gives the jacket a better appearance. I can see why an E-9 would want to do that. Thank you!

I'm of no help, but saw this and your others in the BDU thread, and wanted to say those are some nice pieces, and welcome to the forums!

Thank you! I have a few more BDU's coming, too!

Not to mention that no one ever used any of those pockets anyway. The only pockets any of us ever used were the cargo pockets on the trousers. The newest uniforms added shoulder pockets and other unnecessary features - I wonder if they ever surveyed the field to see what small % use the pockets, pen sleeves, etc.

Shoulder pockets have there place, most units will have SOPs to carry a torniquet, FAD, marker panel or any other number of small items that one might need readily accessible in the sleeve pockets of current uniforms.

Can't really uses chest pockets on shirts if wearing armour plus most combat shirts are now the crye type of shirt