WWII GERMAN POW BRING BACK ITEM - HELP!

stealthytyler

stealthytyler

My grandfathers platoon buddy got this book during I believe Operation Dragoon near Sainte Maxime Southern France. I have photos from my grandpas buddy of German POWs on the beach. I would assume he took this book from a POW? It is possible he took it from a KIA? I am not sure. Is there any way I can find out more information on this German soldier? I believe his name is Heinz Wilsdorf and was born in 1907. I do not read German so I am limited to my knowledge of this book. Thanks for any help! Ideally, I would love to know what happened to him after the war and if his next of kin would be interested in a copy of this book (not sure how proud they would be though).

post-131595-0-64897100-1432583320.jpg

post-131595-0-71814100-1432583321.jpg

post-131595-0-22587800-1432583323.jpg

Corpsman_1941

It's Wehrmacht soldiers book, it's kind of service record carried in uniforms pocket, I think it's quite possible that it was from KIA or POW because the latest date I can see is July 1944

stealthytyler

It's Wehrmacht soldiers book, it's kind of personal record carried in uniforms pocket

Thanks, I am looking for more information on this soldier. What unit etc. and if it is possible to ID him after the war? Thanks

Corpsman_1941

It seems that he served in infantry unit there is Sign "land. Schutz" I think it standard for landes schutze, schutze means shooter

Corpsman_1941

There is also written that he was rifleman, he stationed in such cities as Paris and Glogau-now Polish Glogów

manayunkman

The photo shows that he was an NCO candidate.

You can see a silver line on his shoulder board.

Did you show all the entries ?

If you have, it appears he was never wounded or sick nor did he get any awards.

Tarbridge is correct about WAF.

They have a forum devoted to ID books.

Here is a thread that I started concerning an ID book I got from an estate.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676489

I got a lot of help figuring it all out.

stealthytyler

The photo shows that he was an NCO candidate.

You can see a silver line on his shoulder board.

Did you show all the entries ?

If you have, it appears he was never wounded or sick nor did he get any awards.

Tarbridge is correct about WAF.

They have a forum devoted to ID books.

Here is a thread that I started concerning an ID book I got from an estate.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676489

I got a lot of help figuring it all out.

I left out the pages that were blank...so yes, he never got awards

There is a site that translates the printed (as opposed to handwritten) parts of a soldbuch page by page on the net. Not sure right now of the site, That may be what Manayunkman has in his note above. It's interesting to think a soldier had that on him the entire time he was in the service - a really personal piece of history.

Bob Hudson

This pay book was also his official military ID. Genealogy can be tough, even in the US, and trying to find descendants of a WWII German soldier could be an uphill battle. You might want to hire someone who does genealogy research in Germany.

stealthytyler

Was his last unit the GREN ERS BTL 222? Does anyone know what ERS stand for? Grenadier ERS Battalion 222... right?

ERS is "Ersatz." Generally translated as "Replacement." This was not always the "Repple Depot" we are familiar with in the US military.

He was KIA (or reported KIA) in August of 1944 and is burried at the German Cemetery at Dagneux (southern France). Block 17 series 9 grave 78. PMing you a PDF from the Volksbund website.

stealthytyler

He was KIA (or reported KIA) in August of 1944 and is burried at the German Cemetery at Dagneux (southern France). Block 17 series 9 grave 78. PMing you a PDF from the Volksbund website.

Oh wow... I always assumed he was a POW. I never did ask him where he got it... My grandpas platoon landed near Sainte Maxime on August 15, 1944 during Operation Dragoon. The date seems to line up. Thanks

Proud Kraut

Can anyone read his wife's name on page 5 of the book? Her name is written under his.

Her name was Ursula née Glag. His residence was Liebertwolkwitz (today a district of Leipzig), Großpösnaer Straße 32.

stealthytyler

Her name was Ursula née Glag. His residence was Liebertwolkwitz (today a district of Leipzig), Großpösnaer Straße 32.

Wow good eyes! That you so much all. I have been trying to figure this out for a few years now. Although he was on the other team, it is still sad. I wonder if he has next of kin alive today? I wonder what they would think if they were to see this book? Interesting