Show Off Your WW2 Helmet Nets

Lancer-86

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't believe the small mesh nets were made post WWII, and no one is currently faking them.

As for the larger half inch nets, I have had repros from Jmurray, At The Front and Top Pots, and you can tell pretty easy that they are modern made repros next to an original. On those repros I handled, the weave is loose, they were softer, there was small loose fibers all over it (Similar to reproduction steel pot chinstraps). When you drop it on over a helmet it doesn't make a sound. However when I drop one of my originals over top a helmet it does make a slight sound (I'd assume from the knots) due to the age and chemicals the nets were treated with, which obviously they are not treated with today, so period original nets are more stiff than new repros, also they just look so much better. Any helmet nerd like me would tell you once you get a few originals on the lids on the shelf a reproduction net just doesn't look good.

Hope that helps.

J

Thanks for the information. I was curious myself. I see a few on Ebay for sale every once and a while and always wondered how one can tell.

Hi all, I've posted this helmet before but since this thread is about nets I think it's okay to add it here also. Same helmet with two different nets.

post-169612-0-99416000-1540752869.jpg

post-169612-0-33845500-1540752901.jpg

Rene