Show Off Your WW2 Helmet Nets

Lancer-86

Let's see some dressed up M1 helmets. I'm interested to see the different variations out there. I'll start this out with a few of my own.

post-140032-0-83165000-1432565741.jpg

coolhandluke

I only have two netted pieces in my collection...both of which are small hole British nets.

post-105139-0-00341500-1432577111.jpg

juodonnell2012

Here's one with a little French flare. not necessarily WW2 but almost all parts are ww2. This Is my French Indochina para helmet. The netting is a piece of ww2 british two tone scarf being used as a helmet net on a nice front seam swivel bail helmet. post-104841-14325847522289.jpg

I also have two helmets in my collection that have a net on them. The first is a FS FB with an officer's follow me strip in the back. The net is Canadian 2-tone, although almost all of it is brown.

The other helmet is a First Infantry Division FS FB with a matching liner. The netting is British made (correct me if I am wrong). Both are two of my favorite helmets in my collection

post-153527-0-85716300-1432664578.jpg

post-153527-0-91596800-1432664586.jpg

post-153527-0-59530300-1432664597.jpg

This is my FS FB helmet. The net is original to the helmet. Straight from an estate. Wish I knew more about it. Were the same types of nets used in the ETO and the PTO? Ive always been curious about that

This question might seem a bit obvious, but how do you tell if a net is ww2, especially the large squared knotted nets, surely this would be pretty easy to age and fake.

This question might seem a bit obvious, but how do you tell if a net is ww2, especially the large squared knotted nets, surely this would be pretty easy to age and fake.

I don't believe the small mesh nets were made post WWII, and no one is currently faking them.

As for the larger half inch nets, I have had repros from Jmurray, At The Front and Top Pots, and you can tell pretty easy that they are modern made repros next to an original. On those repros I handled, the weave is loose, they were softer, there was small loose fibers all over it (Similar to reproduction steel pot chinstraps). When you drop it on over a helmet it doesn't make a sound. However when I drop one of my originals over top a helmet it does make a slight sound (I'd assume from the knots) due to the age and chemicals the nets were treated with, which obviously they are not treated with today, so period original nets are more stiff than new repros, also they just look so much better. Any helmet nerd like me would tell you once you get a few originals on the lids on the shelf a reproduction net just doesn't look good.

Hope that helps.

J

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...