Gun Show Garands

james127

I was at a gun show recently and there was a guy who had 4 M1 Garands for sale. All of them were from the CMP and were marked at $1000 each. However, 2 of them had serial numbers that dated them during the WWII era and the other two were from the Korean War era. As far as value goes, is there no difference when it comes to when they were produced? It seems to me that one produced during WWII would cost a little more.

CMP doesn't differentiate between WWII and later; they price M1s based on condition and originality. Any service grade M1 could be a WWII or Korean War; they will still cost the same. There is also a separation by manufacturer; the IHCs tend to be pricier than the the H&Rs, and the Winchesters are more expensive than the Springfields. Any manufacturer in original configuration and excellent condition will be more expensive (collector grade versus service grade), and the better condition M1s will be more expensive than the well worn M1s (service grade versus rack grade). Go to the CMP web site and it will explain everything about their pricing.

Seems kinda high unless they were in a collectors grade condition.

Buddy just sold a 44 date range/serial numbered reciever Garand with a 53 dated barrel for $825 and it was nice,probably an older DCM program rifle.I know a guy who buys and tunes up CMP garands and he can offer them between $725 and $900.He had a beauty of a garand in 308 for $1200 and would deal.

I went to their website and looked over how the CMP sets their prices. I just thought that a dealer at a gun show would price them out differently depending on the serial numbers (with a WWII issue selling for more than a Korean War). Maybe not though.

I guess I'm a little odd, but I'd prefer an M1 that has some wear on it :)

Thanks for the clarification!

Seems kinda high unless they were in a collectors grade condition.

Buddy just sold a 44 date range/serial numbered reciever Garand with a 53 dated barrel for $825 and it was nice,probably an older DCM program rifle.I know a guy who buys and tunes up CMP garands and he can offer them between $725 and $900.He had a beauty of a garand in 308 for $1200 and would deal.

Dang. I've been looking and I haven't seen one at a gun show for under $1000.

Dang. I've been looking and I haven't seen one at a gun show for under $1000.

I heard of one at a show back in april where the guy walked through and non of the dealers would give the seller $800.The rifle was a springfield with a 44 dated barrel and reciever.Seller was leaving and a guy walking in bought it.I didnt see it so not sure if it was a mix of other parts or fairly correct.The seller stated his dad had owned it since the early 50s.

fairly priced rifles are out there and there are motivated sellers but a lot of the prices I see are guys trying to match or get gun*broker type prices.I have actually seen dealers not offer over $550 for a garand.Another buddy saw a guy at a show back in october walking a garand through and the guy wanted $750 for it.He didnt look at it but saw the guy later in the day and asked him if he had any offers the guy stated no that te dealers were not making an fair offers.Buddy looked at it quick and asked if 700 would buy it.Guy took the money.Buddy got out side in the light and saw the winchester marked reciever under a thick coat of parkerizing.Keep looking they are everywhere.

Yes a all correct WWII garand or a WWII Garand with original barrel and many original parts would be worth more than a Post War Garand.

A WWII mixmaster is worth no more than a Post War mixmaster. Above statements are true if both are in same condition

Sort of disagree. A ww2 mixmaster would've worth more to me than a KW mixmaster.

I picked up an all correct 1945 SA with correct stock too for $950.

They can be found but not from a dealer for that price.

-Brian

From my point of view I wanted and received a nice WW2 springfield Garand from the CMP. Mixmasters were the norm - almost all WW2 Garnds were arsenal rebuilt. Some collectors are, of course, making them "correct".Personally I hate to see CMP Garands for sale by dealers. These pieces are part of our heritage. Sorry I'm beginning to rant. Stillsurprised that so many are seeking Garands - The CMP is easy to join and is still offering them.

• 2 weeks later...
Sgt. Swigart

I was at a gun show recently and there was a guy who had 4 M1 Garands for sale. All of them were from the CMP and were marked at $1000 each. However, 2 of them had serial numbers that dated them during the WWII era and the other two were from the Korean War era. As far as value goes, is there no difference when it comes to when they were produced? It seems to me that one produced during WWII would cost a little more.

To me the one that would be worth most would be the one with the most barrel life left. Some of these are pretty shot out or completely shot out and a barrel replacement is pretty pricey. 1000.00 seems like a lot for a CMP gun that is most likely going to have a lot of wear internally unless it is one of the few that did not get shot much.

If I remember correctly, these were opened in Anniston in 2009. I think they had around 200 un-issued Garands. They were all post war production. Mostly SA with some HRAs.

They were all auctioned off.