No. 5 Experimental

juodonnell2012

juodonnell2012

Hello everyone I just made a deal on this No. 5 experimental helmet in great condition. My question was did these helmets see action in ww1 I have seen a few photos of doughboys using them but can't find the pics anywhere now. I know a very small number of them made it to the lines for testing. Any help would be appreciated.post-104841-14322249628023.jpgpost-104841-14322249726021.jpg

This is going to sound confusing and outlandish, but this isn't a WWI Model 5.

Bashford Dean correctly refers to it as the Model 5a in Helmets and Body Armor in Modern Warfare, but the Ordnance Department called it the Model 2a.

It dates to around 1920.

NICE!! Is that the one from Dan Griffin?

I don't think they were ever actually used on the line as they looked too similar to the German helmets - I'm sure the person wearing it felt pretty conspicuous surrounded by the washbasin helmets.

'Flage Guy

Man, that's a stunning example- worth whatever you had to fork over for it!

Thanks for posting that screamer :)

This is going to sound confusing and outlandish, but this isn't a WWI Model 5.

Bashford Dean correctly refers to it as the Model 5a in Helmets and Body Armor in Modern Warfare, but the Ordnance Department called it the Model 2a.

It dates to around 1920.

Would you mind pointing out the differences between the 5 and 5a?

Would you mind pointing out the differences between the 5 and 5a?

post-270-0-26062600-1432230444.jpg

The 5a is curved here, while the 5 comes to a sharper point.

im curious though, how do you know the difference between an american experimental helmet and a swiss helmet?

heres a cool picture
post-125364-0-98831900-1432244009.jpg

here are some pics of the two, notice the Swiss doesn't have the rivits on the front sides but does have small holes on the rear sides, and then of course there is the shape.

Hope this helps.

1st pic Swiss on the left

post-8016-0-07166300-1432259269.jpg

2nd pic Swiss on the Right

post-8016-0-31976100-1432259311.jpg

here are some pics of the two, notice the Swiss doesn't have the rivits on the front sides but does have small holes on the rear sides, and then of course there is the shape.

Hope this helps.

1st pic Swiss on the left

attachicon.gifModel5-M18WEB.jpg

2nd pic Swiss on the Right

attachicon.gifModel-5-Swiss-M18.jpg

ahh thank you

There's no doubt that there's a similarity between the two though...before I knew the difference I once bought a Swiss helmet at an auction thinking I'd just scored an experimental M-5 for $15... and of course was then hugely disappointed when I did more research...I know better now though :)

Rick

There's no doubt that there's a similarity between the two though...before I knew the difference I once bought a Swiss helmet at an auction thinking I'd just scored an experimental M-5 for $15... and of course was then hugely disappointed when I did more research...I know better now though :)

Rick

that's because they adopted the m5 design which is why I was curious, I knew that but not the differences

• 1 year later...

The Model 2 was sometimes known as the "Deep Salade", and the Model 5 was sometimes known as the "Low Salade". Those names derive from the 15th-century Italian salade (AKA celata, sallet or schaller) upon which they were based.