White PASGT (Kevlar) Helmet Cover

thorin6

While at an antique mall in Ohio I found this cover at a very cheap price. I'm assuming it's for the northern climates, such as Alaska, but I've never seen one before. The contract date appears to be in 1989, and it also appears to be oversized such that it could fit over the helmet with the camo cover. I'm curious if any one has seen one and how it was supposed to be worn. I also just checked the inside markings and the helmet it's on is an S-2 (small size?) and was made in 1987.

Here's the markings on the inside:

post-11546-0-54853500-1432166850.jpg

i know an army ranger who is also (as he says) a gear junkie, he collects gear the same as he used for whatever reason... anyway he has one. he makes youtube videos about his stuff and I believe he showed it in one video

The cover is for the medium/large PASGT helmet as stated in the markings. It would be baggy on a small, but who knows.

I kind of doubt they were made oversized since it's not that big a deal to change covers.

This one is indeed used for operations in snow-covered terrain.

Linedoggie

Standard part of the Overwhites set for winter warfare. We even had them in the NYARNG 27th bde 105th INF back in 93.

IIRC a parka, trousers, helmet cover, mitten covers and rucksack cover make the set.

Hello Thorin,

Indeed the PASGT helmet cover designed for winter ops. These date back to 1983 with the initial intro of the PASGT cover. The Bulison 1989 contract differs slightly as all the snow contracts did not have foliage slits, but did have four slits on the underside for the chinstraps. The Bulinson as shown here did not have the chinstrap slits added.

The Snow covers are the only PASGT covers still in large scale use with the U.S. military as the Marine Corps does have a "MARPAT Snow" over suit however no covers in the pattern are currently produced. Since the USMC LWH is of the same shape as PASGT it is still currently worn with the over suit.

Hope that helps

post-98601-0-64722600-1432220148.jpg

post-98601-0-44295400-1432220181.jpg