WW I Overseas Cap Question?

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

Photo No. 01: Sketches of the wide variety of AEF overseas cap styles as drawn by the AEF war artist Captain Wallace Morgan in 1918. Presumably these were all drawn from actual examples that were worn by AEF personnel.

Note that the fourth cap from the left in the top row has ties at the back. Has anyone ever seen an overseas cap similar to this style?

post-5143-0-87780200-1432166570.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 02: It’s possible that Captain Wallace’s drawing is of the 1907 Winter Field Cap being worn backwards … any opinions?

post-5143-0-57776700-1432166621.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 03: Comparison of Captain Wallace’s drawing with a 1907 Winter Field Cap. Are they the same or different … again any opinions?

post-5143-0-53140400-1432166665.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 04: At least two of the reclining soldiers pictured here are wearing the winter field cap reversed. Are all of the men in the photograph wearing the winter field cap in this position or are some wearing a clumsy overseas cap?

post-5143-0-26270600-1432166707.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 05: Are these men also wearing the winter field cap or are they wearing the first pattern overseas cap which was universally hated due to its poor design and awkward appearance? This cap was abolished two months after it was introduced and replaced with the more familiar second pattern overseas cap.

post-5143-0-93509800-1432166749.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 06: First pattern overseas cap made from 20 ounce melton wool. Both sides were identical. The curtain of this cap did not overlap at the front nor was there any provision, i.e. grommet, for attaching the collar disc. In fact, regulations stated that no insignia was to be worn on this cap. Essentially it was a plain cap with a turned up edge or ‘curtain’, which closely resembled the reversed winter field cap when viewed from the front.

Photo courtesy of Advance Guard Militaria.com

post-5143-0-05394800-1432166795.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 07: Interior view showing that the cap did not have any lining or a sweatband. Note the simplistic construction and the prominent seam at both the front and the back.

Photo courtesy of Advance Guard Militaria.com

post-5143-0-57862500-1432166834.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 08: Are these men wearing reversed winter field caps or the first pattern overseas cap? Opinions?

PLEASE … CAN ANYONE POST AN EXAMPLE OF THE FIRST PATTERN OVERSEAS CAP OR PERIOD PHOTOS SHOWING THAT CAP BEING WORN?

Thanks to all who chime in … World War I Nerd

post-5143-0-87138000-1432166887.jpg

dunmore1774

Are these first pattern? No real detail even if they are. And they seem much thinner than the examples posted already

post-104684-0-81563100-1432168421.jpg

dunmore1774

As for the drawing possibly being the 1907 Winter Field cap, it certainly seems a possibility. However, all of the drawings seem to be officers. Could it be a foreign cap worn by officers that caught on as a trendy fashion? I don't know if officer's would wear the 1907 Winter Field cap.

world war I nerd

You're right Dunmore ... I didn't notice that all of the drawings were indeed officer's overseas caps!

You're also correct that the 1907 Winter Field Cap was not prescribed for officers.

However, in France, the AEF permitted officers to wear articles of enlisted men's clothing when at the front. All enlisted men's garment did however, have to be turned back in as soon as they came out of the trenches. Even if an officer could wear the winter field cap, it's unlikely that he would choose to do so given its un-soldierly appearance.

Personally, I agree with your assessment that a non-regulation overseas cap of that style was available or tailor made in France. I was hoping that someone could confirm this by posting a photo of a similar cap.

I would post pictures of my first pattern overseas cap, but you already have good pictures of from AGM!

I think there is a good chance that the cap in question is the 1907 Winter Field Cap. If you pull the "visor" up flush with the rest of the cap and tie over the visor, it does resemble a overseas cap. Vaguely resembles a British field service caps (though, less attractive).

post-97349-0-61626200-1432218845.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Photo No. 08: Are these men wearing reversed winter field caps or the first pattern overseas cap? Opinions?

PLEASE … CAN ANYONE POST AN EXAMPLE OF THE FIRST PATTERN OVERSEAS CAP OR PERIOD PHOTOS SHOWING THAT CAP BEING WORN?

Thanks to all who chime in … World War I Nerd

Here you go B...

post-92682-0-66426800-1433768132.jpg