WWII USN VF-31 Flying Meat Axe squadron patch help needed

northcoastaero

northcoastaero

I am looking for a color image and size of the WWII USN fighter squadron VF-31 Flying Meat Axe patch from late 1944. The squadron

flew the Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat aboard the USS Cabot at this time. Any help would be appreciated. Thank-you.

northcoastaero

I just noticed a color drawing of the VF-31 insignia in one of my books. It is on page 31 of the book: OSPREY AIRWAR 16 US Navy Carrier Air Groups Pacific 1941-45 by Rene Francillon.

Johnny Signor

The two images I posted are from a friend at the "Tailhook Assoc" their historian , so it doesn't get any better than that !

Johnny Signor

Doyler, all those images are of repro faked up ones, I have heard "rumors" a RKO studios stamp was found/made to stamp the backs of them to look "legit" , others on sites also say the same , they're hokey , stay away from them , all are very sloppy in design and colors aren't correct on a lot of them etc etc .................

Doyler, all those images are of repro faked up ones, I have heard "rumors" a RKO studios stamp was found/made to stamp the backs of them to look "legit" , others on sites also say the same , they're hokey , stay away from them , all are very sloppy in design and colors aren't correct on a lot of them etc etc .................

Johnny

Thats was my thoughts.All are on the same type canvas and have a lot of the same characteristics.

• 4 weeks later...