Fun with shelter halves

phantomfixer

phantomfixer

For 20 plus years I have been reenacting/living history with different units mainly solo stuff...for sleeping accommodations my gear has evolved..

I started with just a mummy bag thrown on the ground at readings WWII weekend, then came pup tents, then I came across old GP mediums at the base DRMO, complete with ridge poles....then came the down sizing to a GP small and a hexagon M1951 patrol tent..

Now I use a 43 dated mountain tent...but this rig in the picture looks very appealing...easy to setup, lots of head room...any of you Army types ever put this to use in the field? looks very nice...

4 shelter halves form the base and two form the cap..

post-155518-0-56791600-1431970038.gif

phantomfixer

So here it is a rather close up shot because it was dark by the time I was done messing around...tons of run to lay down in, can stand up very easy...lots of room for a cot or two plus gear...needs some tweeking...the base must be as square as you can make it...but was fun to do

post-155518-0-26826400-1431997001.jpg

phantomfixer

Well here is pic of the corner of the mountain tent...this is at the Pencader Museum in DE..the jeep and the GP small...the mountain tent is off to the left...will set it up tonight or tomorrow and take a pic...

here is some more of the 6 piece shelter half tent...

post-155518-0-92796100-1432038571.jpg

post-155518-0-45661800-1432038587.jpg

post-155518-0-86446600-1432038594.jpg

• 10 months later...
Sgt. BARney

Very neat and thanks for posting this! Where did you find the drawing - was it in a manual, if so, which one? I think I could manage hauling 6 shelter halves. I've always thought these type of field expedients were more interesting than the parade ground style tent camps. It really shows the ingenuity of soldiers in the field repurposing issue equipment. Using two shelter halves as designed is barely enough room for one person, let along two.

Thanks again!

phantomfixer

Dig it.. I agree 100% as far as the field look...some frown on it because it doesn't look "right"....but heck it works....I found the drawing on the net, while looking for info on pup tents it came from A USGI pamphlet, if I recall.. was fun to put up... good luck with it...

Brian Keith

Interesting set up. Your Mitchel pattern camo shelter half is pretty hard to find.

Thanks for posting this.

BKW

phantomfixer

Thanks BKW...shelter half is 50s era? I am guessing...has snap not buttons, and has a few repairs and patches...nothing to big and some paint splatter from the PO....

If you feel like driving to Michigan for my living history timeline you could set it up here and then I can see it up close :) .

I have seem the pics and have wondered what it would look like in real life. Thanks for sharing.

Bob

• 6 months later...

I noticed you didn't use the external poles to support the top halves. How many poles and what type did you use on the inside?

I used four shelter half poles for the inside corners and two 5'7'' GP poles for the peaks inside...the manual/website gave the option for internal or external peak poles

Thanks for looking...was a fun way to spend the afternoon..and there is a ton of room inside...not as much as a GP small or squad tent but still cool to set up

• 1 year later...