Picture Identification?

fldonahue

This picture was taken by J M Oppenheim, of Boston. I was able to find that he was active from 1900 - 1938, or so. This is a very sharp photo, of a group of soldiers who appear to be standing for review. Does anyone have an idea either about the era this photo is from, and/or the branch of the service represent? Not sure how sharp it will be, after having to resize it. The actual picture is about 20 x 27 inches. I'm going to try to upload three shots, two as details.post-158532-0-30780000-1431811446.jpg

This is a close-up of the picture I posted, hoping for identification. It's by a Boston photographer, J M Oppenheim, from around 1900-1938?post-158532-0-47364800-1431812296.jpg

This is a second close-up. I hope it's ok to do this the way I have, couldn't put all 3 on one post.post-158532-0-79383900-1431812384.jpg

If this was taken post 1900 the soldiers are definitely National Guard troops. They are still carrying Trapdoor Springfield rifles but the uniforms look to be of the late 1890's. Someone with more knowledge than me could tell you which campaign hat they are wearing. I think it is around the 1898 or 1899 pattern and the service coats look to be the 1895 pattern.

Sully,

As I am new, not at all sure how to reply to you? I appreciate your response. Had no idea there even was a National Guatd during those years. For no particular reason, I've thought the National Guard was a more recent organization. Those photographer definitely opened his studio in 1900, at 23 Tremont Street in Boston. You can find the minutes of a city meeting where they approved the sign for his shop, and the picture has his name and the address written in the right front corner. Of course it could be printed from a negative he shot earlier.

With the troops armed with the Trapdoor Springfield, pattern 1872 chevrons (which began to be phased out in late 1902 and acorn ended hat cords that came into use in 1899, I'd say that narrows things down quite a bit. This could have been taken anytime between 1900 and say 1903. And they are most likely National Guard troops as the Trapdoors were pretty well out of regular Army service by that time.

I tend to agree with Lee. Looking at the Indiana Adjutant General's report, in 1902 there are recommendations to replace the Springfield (trapdoor) rifles and by 1905 there are none mentioned in the inventory.

Of course, each state is different, but I think that may help narrow the timeline down.

Since this is a Mass. photographer, you might try researching the State Adjutant General's annual reports to see what they mention about encampments for that time period. This may help narrow the time line down.

My estimate would be 1898 to 1902.

They are basically dressed in Spanish-American War uniform....could be wartime or post-war.

Had no idea there even was a National Guard during those years. For no particular reason, I've thought the National Guard was a more recent organization.

The US Army National Guard is the direct lineal descendant of the state organized militias, the first of which was founded by the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1636. The term "National Guard" was first used by the 11th NY Artillery in 1825. It was later used by Connecticut in 1861 to refer to all of that state's militia units. The National Defense Act of 1916 mandated that all state militias would officially be called the National Guard and be a part of the US Army.