B-29 Large Scale Model - Factory Made?

jpstout

Right to the point, a large B-29 model made of wood and plexiglass I picked up in years past to go with my PTO aviation collectibles. No origin or provenance came with this beast, but obviously a superb piece of craftsmanship, although in some disrepair. Did not seem to fit the "Model" category in the strictest sense and possibly looks to be a factory made model, or perhaps, museum related. So, I posted it here in case it was built by Boeing or something along those lines. Of course, if it fits another category, by all means please move. Where my hand is holding it on the underbelly is a machined piece of metal, nicely fitting the model and able to take a metal rod insert as the stand. The plexiglass is simple, but the pilots cabin is cool. The tail code "291945" eludes me, but I am sure I have not exhausted all the reference material out there. I wondered if it meant 29=B29 and 1945=Year, since it did not fit the 42-xxxxx codes. Maybe you can help me? Thanks, pat

post-3673-0-76928300-1431809817.jpg

The Meatcan

That's an incredible display plane! How heavy is it? No props on it anymore? I thought the same as you on the tail number. Great item!

Terry

Great piece Pat

Maybe you will have to contact Boeing>Possibly they have a Company historian that could shed some light on it

Guys, thanks for the comments. I've stored it under the train table since it is too big for the desk and my office, LOL. Been trying to figure out how to display it with some of my 20th AF patches and collectibles and give it some depth, maybe I do need a bigger office or downsize on some of my other junk.

Meatcan, no propellers, but I figured I would make some plastic discs to use, The original hubs are there and are in part screws, so I suspect there were props on this at one time. It is more cumbersome than heavy, but I have not weighed it.

Ron, I have not contacted Boeing, but that seems to be a good next step. I will throw some close ups on soon to show a few of the neater details.

regards,

pat

So the cockpit is detailed? I'd love to see that.

Sundance, let me clarify that, the front is solid plexiglas with the appropriate scale contour and the painted on "metal frame". I will get a photograph of that. Sorry for the confusion.

I say plexiglas, but I guess it is actually acrylic, which is marketed under many trade names including Plexiglas, Lucite, Perspex, Policril, Gavrieli, Vitroflex, Limacryl, R-Cast, Per-Clax, Plazcryl, Acrylex, Acrylite, Acrylplast, Altuglas, Polycast, Oroglass, Optix. It is different from lexan (polycarbonate) which is more expensive and tends to yellow. There is no yellowing of the material used on this B-29.

pat