WWII Navy "Lion 8" unit question

okidonn

I have a Sept 1945 document from a Navy unit called LION 8, the only real information I have found indicated that LION was "Land Invasion Occupational Navy". The document indicated they were on Okinawa. Does anyone know what this unit was and what their role in the war was?

Thanks

They were code names for particular Navy advance bases:

1. LION -- the standard ready advance base unit, including all necessary components of a major all-purpose advance base.

2. CUB-- a minor advance base unit.

3. ACORN -- a minor advance air base unit.

If you want to read about it:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/Admin-Hist/021-AdvanceBases/AdvanceBases-6.html

• 3 years later...

My grandfather was a member of this unit. I have been trying to find any information I can. I have gone as far as to contact the Navy Dept. who denies the existence of the unit. I have his orders from service which clearly states he was a member but little else is on them.

Salvage Sailor

Aloha,

LION 8 is not a unit per say, it is a location of a WWII Advanced base to which he was assigned.

As member 29navy posted above, LION is the code name for a Naval Advanced Section Base (NavAdvBase) Here's the excellent source he posted http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/Admin-Hist/021-AdvanceBases/AdvanceBases-6.html

In May of 1945, LION 8 was Nav Adv Base Unit #8 & Nav Section Base, Zamboango (different spelling = Zamboanga) Philippine Islands.

If you have access to a Fold3 account, some of the records of the base are listed there

Also see pages 371 to 374 here: Engineers of the Southwest Pacific, 1941-1945: Reports of ..., Airfield and Base Development Volume 6 https://books.google.com/books?id=24NPAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA374&lpg=PA374&dq=section+base+zamboanga&source=bl&ots=C4TlVXALb6&sig=O_nnFnk39Gr6e8HXAbOMdzDze0M&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjlyIvU59vbAhUpjlQKHacMBM4Q6AEIczAG#v=onepage&q=section%20base%20zamboanga&f=false

Photo: Aerial view of PT base under construction at Navy 3070, Zamboanga, Philippines, 5 July 1945

LION #8 ZAMBOANGA.jpg

According to Muster Rolls available on ancestry.com, "Lion VIII" (later shown as "LION EIGHT") was commissioned 1 July 1944 at USNABPD (United States Navy Advanced Base Personnel Depot), San Bruno, California. Following are copies of pages from the Muster Rolls and Report of Changes show related information. The last rolls available are dated 12 July 1945 and show personnel transferred.

post-8013-0-71297000-1529285230_thumb.jpg

post-8013-0-57151200-1529285912_thumb.jpg

What was your Grandfather's name? I'll check to see if he shows up on any of these documents. If you do not want to post his name publicly, send me a private message.

Larry

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, LAMORTE12 said:

Hi Larry sorry for the long delay. His name was Patrick Toomey

Did a quick search and found this - 

33185_b048026-00383.jpg.55c85a3b0c026ac0c83ee61bf37aa67c.jpg

Will do a more in-depth review and PM you when additional info is found.

Larry