USN/USMC Jet Age Flight Helmets

I don't feel comfortable about doing that unless I spoke to him first, and for a number of reasons I don't want to do that. If it were a golf question or the like no problem, but one reason I became the caretaker of his helmet was he wanted to move past that part of his life. I need to continue to respect that.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't feel comfortable about doing that unless I spoke to him first, and for a number of reasons I don't want to do that. If it were a golf question or the like no problem, but one reason I became the caretaker of his helmet was he wanted to move past that part of his life. I need to continue to respect that.

No problem. I wanted to see if I could help identify the squadron, but I completely understand.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Your grandfather was a true hero. Awarded the Navy Cross (posthumously) for courage a POW in North Vietnam.

Interestingly, my uncle was a turret gunner in VMTB-232 from February '45 until his pilot and JASCO artillery spotter were lost on Okinawa in late April.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/12/2017 at 4:14 PM, horridohutch said:

And Mr Pierozzi from all accounts a gentleman.....

post-133566-0-45807000-1489353275_thumb.jpg

Interestingly my dad has the toolbox of their #7/PAO I think from the F-11 era, a LCDR Rottgering. Also an F-8 pilot. We got it at his estate sale after he passed, still upset my mom wouldn't let us get the tailhook he had propped up in his office!