USN/USMC Jet Age Flight Helmets

cricket

I don't feel comfortable about doing that unless I spoke to him first, and for a number of reasons I don't want to do that. If it were a golf question or the like no problem, but one reason I became the caretaker of his helmet was he wanted to move past that part of his life. I need to continue to respect that.

I don't feel comfortable about doing that unless I spoke to him first, and for a number of reasons I don't want to do that. If it were a golf question or the like no problem, but one reason I became the caretaker of his helmet was he wanted to move past that part of his life. I need to continue to respect that.

No problem. I wanted to see if I could help identify the squadron, but I completely understand.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Your grandfather was a true hero. Awarded the Navy Cross (posthumously) for courage a POW in North Vietnam.

Interestingly, my uncle was a turret gunner in VMTB-232 from February '45 until his pilot and JASCO artillery spotter were lost on Okinawa in late April.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
lancecriminal86
On 3/12/2017 at 4:14 PM, horridohutch said:

And Mr Pierozzi from all accounts a gentleman.....

post-133566-0-45807000-1489353275_thumb.jpg

Interestingly my dad has the toolbox of their #7/PAO I think from the F-11 era, a LCDR Rottgering. Also an F-8 pilot. We got it at his estate sale after he passed, still upset my mom wouldn't let us get the tailhook he had propped up in his office!

• 3 years later...

Franck,

Congratulations... IMO it's a key mask setup for anyone collecting early F-4 sets.  Looking good!

• 5 weeks later...
Steve Brannan

I believe this flight helmet belonged to a Marine NFO who flew in F4Bs 1966-1986. I don’t know his Squadron when he wore this helmet in the early 80s. 

IMG_1195.jpeg

IMG_1196.jpeg

IMG_1197.jpeg

IMG_1198.jpeg

IMG_1199.jpeg

IMG_1201.jpeg

Steve Brannan

I have a a 1966 Yearbook like publication printed in Japan for the Marine F4B Squadron which has a few pictures of the flyers in their flying gear. VMFA-314. 

IMG_1202.jpeg

23 hours ago, Steve Brannan said:

I believe this flight helmet belonged to a Marine NFO who flew in F4Bs 1966-1986. I don’t know his Squadron when he wore this helmet in the early 80s. 

IMG_1196.jpeg

IMG_1199.jpeg

Looks to me like H&MS-13 out of MCAS El Toro, CA, who flew TA-4Fs and OA-4Ms. Great setup!

Semper Fly,

Ski

23 hours ago, Steve Brannan said:

A0DD88AB-3DAB-4A73-919B-210DBD5FE478.jpeg

04D01653-0B5D-49EA-A7BC-791C32724F30.jpeg

9972BA82-BA63-4C76-9B5F-579E55269D7E.jpeg

3 hours ago, Steve Brannan said:

I have a a 1966 Yearbook like publication printed in Japan for the Marine F4B Squadron which has a few pictures of the flyers in their flying gear. VMFA-314. 

IMG_1202.jpeg

Thanks for posting, those are some great shots.  I really like the pics of the mask mounted reg. with the over the shoulder high pressure hose and the early F-4 mask set.