USN/USMC Jet Age Flight Helmets

cricket

H-4 helmet with type II flying goggles modified by the riggers by adding snaps to secure it on the helmet on each side. USN MS-22001 mask with snaps for attaching on the helmet (without hook on the right side as USAF mask had at this time). On the USN version of the mask, there's a ring under the mask to put the helmet chin strap through.

post-2712-0-14053800-1431770737.jpg post-2712-0-13789700-1431771356.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cricket, what a nice collection ! :)

I'm jealous !!! ^^

I follow you after Bebel's babies... ;)

30.5.jpg

Cricket, what a nice collection ! :)

I'm jealous !!! ^^

I follow you after Bebel's babies... ;)

On the right, VF-211 1958 on F-11 Tiger.

30.5.jpg

VA-81 "Sunliners" Protection inc.

Ed Overcash

Then a Tomcat driver & the Boss of NAS Oceana Agressors

30.17.jpg

30.21.jpg

30.19.jpg

30.24.jpg

Photo family ! ;)

30.30.jpg

On the right, VC-5 "Checkertails" late 60's/early 70's

More shells to come... :)

Ultra Hog-

We have similar tastes in helmet collecting... Love your collection. I really like the mask mounted regulator setup and let me know if you ever want to get rid of the VF-211 or VA-81 sets... I love em...

I'll have to post some more.

Another one ! USMC cause very similar to another shell (APH-5) seen on the forum...

01.40.jpg

01.41.jpg

P-4A ! Traded by Lt JG Ernest Mares as a young pilot at NAS Barbers point HI with a USAF guy who picked a brand new G-1 flight jacket !

He used to pilot Panther & Cougar with it while piloting Regulus missiles...

Then, at NAS Point Mugu, he flew Fury & Hellcat !

He offered this helmet to his nephew who let it in the dad's house for a long time, then his daddy sold the house & the bone dome took off to a military surplus where a French guy picked it back to France & sold it to my flightgear friend... I contacted Ernest, what a career OMG !!! :-)

• 1 year later...

H-4 helmet with type II flying goggles modified by the riggers by adding snaps to secure it on the helmet on each side. USN MS-22001 mask with snaps for attaching on the helmet (without hook on the right side as USAF mask had at this time). On the USN version of the mask, there's a ring under the mask to put the helmet chin strap through.

attachicon.gifusmf h4.jpg attachicon.gifusmf a13.jpg

Is it correct that during this time period the two snaps on each side of the helmet was the most common connection for the USN MS-22001 mask??? So confusing looking at pictures with H-3 and H-4 helmets. Seems like the snaps and the hook type connectors were both used. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

northcoastaero

The original liner for the H-3 helmet had three snaps on each side for mask attachment.

Later H-3 and H-4 liners had two snaps on each side for mask attachment. All of the

Korean War photos that I have seen show H-3 helmets instead of H-4 and three snaps on each

side of the liner for the mask. I believe the USN/USMC used cotton (parachute rigger

made?) straps attached to the mask face piece body with a single snap on each side. It is

possible that the USAF nylon assy. with two snaps on the left side of the mask and a

bracket on the right side for the helmet liner snap-on clip assy. could have been used?

I guess it is also possible for a USAF style mask strap configuration made from cotton

straps to be used by the USN/USMC? Hope this helps.

The original liner for the H-3 helmet had three snaps on each side for mask attachment.

Later H-3 and H-4 liners had two snaps on each side for mask attachment. All of the

Korean War photos that I have seen show H-3 helmets instead of H-4 and three snaps on each

side of the liner for the mask. I believe the USN/USMC used cotton (parachute rigger

made?) straps attached to the mask face piece body with a single snap on each side. It is

possible that the USAF nylon assy. with two snaps on the left side of the mask and a

bracket on the right side for the helmet liner snap-on clip assy. could have been used?

I guess it is also possible for a USAF style mask strap configuration made from cotton

straps to be used by the USN/USMC? Hope this helps.

Thanks. That's pretty much what I thought too. Here's a picture from the FJ-2 Fury training film (1953) with the pilot using the USAF type attachment. This is why it gets so confusing. You think you have it figured out then you find new "evidence". In the film there are better angles that leave no doubt which style is being used. This seems to be the exception rather than the rule. With what I've seen I think I will go with the snap on each side configuration. Thanks again!

post-104735-0-02592700-1487463637_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
horridohutch

My humble addition to this great thread of helmets. This is an APH-5 that was owned by Captain Nello Pierozzi when he was the CO of VX-4. I believe it was an APH-5 modified to a 6. I collect a wide range of military items and have some very nice items. I will venture to say that this is one of my top shelf items.....

post-133566-0-47628200-1489352898.jpg