WWII KIA Brothers - USN/USMC PH/NGCM Grouping

LegGrunt71

LegGrunt71

Here's an all too familiar story from WWII. Two brothers killed in action.

AMM2c Kenneth P. Shields, USN - MIA 12MAR1944 (nothing else known)

Sergeant Robert T. Shields, USMC - KIA 20OCT1944, Marine Det. CL-48 USS Honolulu. Killed by aerial attack, torpedo, concussion, buried at sea.

post-158219-0-73267800-1431483784.jpg

post-158219-0-77244600-1431483795.jpg

LegGrunt71

I've tried finding more on Kenneth P. Shields but I keep striking out. Anybody got any good resources on aviation losses?

aerialbridge

Here's the USS Honolulu battle damage report for October 20, 1944, the day the Marine brother died. Two separate incidents, a torpedo hit by a Nakajima B5-N ("Kate") at 1600 that killed 58 and a tragic friendly fire incident at 1930 that blew up a 40mm gunmount and killed 5. Hope that you find out more about the mission when the Navy brother went MIA.

post-18406-0-42850800-1431490561.jpg

KASTAUFFER

Very poignant grouping. Thanks for sharing. I have a USN Posthumous Purple Heart from the USS Honolulu for the same action,

Kurt

Wow, poingant group and reminder of the price of freedom paid by a family. Good luck in your research Ray.

Shields was in VP-33 (at least I believe it was a VP.) That might lead to some more info...

5-13-2015 9-10-51 AM.jpg

LegGrunt71

PBY OPs with VP-33 Blackcats.... JUST WOW.

There was a set of combat aircrewman wings in the bag with the PH boxes. Makes sense now.

It's not his actual name...I'm sure it's an abbreviation. I'm sure his name can be pulled from their unit history as there were only a few KIA officers listed.