Opinions on a 1943Remington 03A3

mdk0911

All,

I have a chance to buy this rifle - need help - good or bad is correct/original parts - stock correct with the stamps and correct blued/parkerized parts?

thanks a lot

mike

post-80886-0-68342200-1431461185.jpg

post-80886-0-49638300-1431461200.jpg

post-80886-0-07507500-1431461214.jpg

LOOKS VERY NICE TO ME. ALL PARTS SHOULD BE :R: MARKED. THESE REMINGTONS ALL ORIGONAL AND CLEAN GO FOR 850.00 TO 950.00.

oldfireguy

That black paint/park/blueing on it reminds me of the finish that came on the Greek returns from CMP about 10 years or maybe longer ago. It's got a well marked stock on it. Make sure that the mark on the butt stock is a gouge and not cracked in any way. The price range that costa tossed out is about what they go for here now.

No red flags that are visible, and most likely not a Greek return. I've owned a couple (M1903) and it doesn't have any of the characteristics I've seen on them. Check the bottom of the bolt handle for marks and such; Remington put an R on quite a few of the parts.

At just a quick glance - The cocking piece appears to be 1903. The bolt sleeve should be blued, appears parked. The trigger guard appears to be SC, round near front screw. The cut off appears to be SC, should be serifed. Cannot tell much more without a detailed review. Bands should all be blued and all the parts should be marked with an R. Hope this helps... wood appears to be RA.

thanks for the help - sent the seller some questions you all asked and we shall see what is up - thx again

FUNNY THING ABOUT THE 03A3 IS THAT MANY HAVE BEEN FOUND IN UNISSUED CONDITION. I HAVE HAD 3 JUST THAT AND THEY ARE BEAUTIES AND VERY ACCURATE

Bummer......I had a similar situation with a 1911. I wasn't ready to take the jump as it was reasonably priced ,but, still a lot to lay out if it ends up having some red flags....by the time I did my research it had sold. Better luck next time.

the gun was purchased last night - guess I got to be faster :o

Just curious what they were asking as if it was a fair price in the condition shown it would be a great rifle.If it was less than $600 you should have bought it if you wanted a nice example.This one posted

To many people put to much stock in parts correct and add high estimated prices on the rifles.To me its part of the rifles history if the parts were replaced.Thats what its life cycle was..Just like the mum Nazis on Japanese rifles.These guys all moan an complain about a ground or defaced mum.It didnt matter to the vet it was gone and it doesnt matter to me.His story of where he got it and what he done is more interesting in my concern.

I recently sold a 1903 Remington modified model.All the the little R's were on the areas I could see.The barrel was dated 42.Finnish was maybe around 70%.Nice wood.Fair bore.I had it priced at $565.I took it to three shows.Every one looked at it and would set it down.Any other 1903a3/1903 at these shows was priced from $700 to over a grand and not selling and had been unsold by the same dealers for the last couple years.One guy keeps adding $50 more to his rifles each year.

Anyway at the last show one guy was looking it over and finally asked what was wrong with it.I knew his line of thinking before he even answered my question to why he thought some was wrong with it.I had some fun with him and asked why did he think something was wrong? His reply was yours is a lot less money.I told him I had recently upgraded and I didnt need two examples as the barrel dates were within a couple months of each other.The one I just bought needs the wood replaced as it was sporterized.He finger fondled it a few more times and asked about the bore.I told him to pull the bolt and look.Guy didnt know how to remove the bolt so Im thinking he really shouldn't be looking to buy it.After taking the bolt out for him he asked me if "all the numbers matched"?

Not the first time I heard this on WW2 US rifle.I just told him US rifles were not like the German or Japanese rifles where they number matched every part.He laid the rifle down then walked off.He came back and commented on it being a two or four grokve barrel and the accuracy.I figured out I was now in the company of an internet genius.He would comeback and look at it acouple dozen times over the course of the day.The show was one day only.He came back at shows end and wanted my number as he would call me bbefore the next show (which is in August).I told him I wont have it for sale then.He looked me oddly and I explained I had had it at three shows and its the cheapest priced rifle at any show.I also dont need to sell it.I had owned it since 1978 and if I take it home Im done with bringing it to shows and if it goes home it stays home.A friend of mine was standing there and heard this.He waited for the guy to step away then he asked if I wanted to sell it as he knows me well and knew if the rifle went home it wasnt going to see the light of day at a show again.He asked if I would take a check and I said sure...give me $525 .He said he would pay the sticker price and I said lm more than happy with the $525.

My friend goes on to comment about why the other guy hadnt bought it as he had seen him look at it all day.I said there were several who looked it over.Their loss.

I guess its typical of people to think something is wrong with something if the price isnt over inflated or priced at auction/internet prices and the item lays there for months and years unsold.

As I was saying if the price was fair It would have been a nice rifle.Seeing what some are paying for just wood on line this one has a great looking stock and could fetch over A couple hundred Im guessing to the right guy.

Some Ogden rebuilds had few or no parts swapped out; however, this rifle appears to have a new bolt group, trigger guard, and cut off. Nice rifle but in the Midwest you could do better on a 03A3 imho.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 03A3 Smith-Corona I bought in the mid 80s.....$250. Shoulda keept it I guess. All matching with that real purdy greenish Parkerizing. Oh well still have my '18 dated '03 and 1917.