Lt. Colonel Samuel C. Eaton World War One Wings - Need Help with Maker ID please

dustymedals

dustymedals

Hello forum members, This is my first post on this forum. If you could be so kind to help me with a maker identification on these World War One wing badges. I bought a group of items that all belonged to a military aviator who served during the WW1 era then again in WW2. I don't know if he ever served in France but I believe he made the rank of Captain. He also was in the employ of the US Airmail Service from 1919 to 1921. During WW2 he was a command pilot serving with the 60th Troop Carrier Group. His name was Lt. Colonel Samuel C. Eaton Jr. (or IIIrd). I also have his Quiet Birdmen Lapel wings, Command Pilot wings, WW2 dog tags and other items which I will show later. I hope the research I have already done is accurate. I have never seen a small set of WW1 wings before but these measure 1 9/16 inches wide and are die struck. The large 3 inch wings are jeweler made and hand chased (no hallmark). Both wings have Gold applied US but my digital camera refuses to capture the true gold color. The reverse side of the small wings are hallmarked STERLING 10K TOP (in three lines).

post-3721-1217261398.jpg

Now for some reason I am having difficulty placing an image with the post!

Stop teasing us! Maybe your pics are simply to large or in the wrong format?

The bottom wing is frequently associated with Eisenstad and sometimes called the moustache wing. Their are a number of variations, sometimes with very long thing wings that curl up at the ends and sometimes with the large fat style wings like yours. A very nice pair of wings.

The little wing is hard to know. Could be any one of a dozen or so companies. It has some similarities to a Shreve type wing.

Nice, very nice.

Patrick

dustymedals

Jeweler Made 3 inch sterling wings detail of hand toolwork. I want to thank everyone in advance for any help.........Dustymedals

post-3721-1217270621.jpg

John Cooper

Thanks for posting... if you send me the wings I think my camera can help bring out the true gold color ;) Looks like you do some good research! I feel when you can uncover the historical background really strikes a chord in my book!

John