OD7 M28 Haversack

krautpot

I bought it some weeks ago from an online military dealer here in Germany. It seems to be surplus from the greek army, there is some greek writing on it. I know there are many discussions about redyed khaki haversacks, but this one looks original OD7.

post-3208-0-11581000-1431447771.jpg

maybe not--- I have a 44 dated musset in od 7 while the ones I have seen were the khaki light color. the tails I have seen in shade 7 but, not the packs. you may have something scarce.

TheGrayGhost

I have never seen one like this before. I can see the US pretty clearly, are there any manufacturers markings?

RustyCanteen

I'm leaning toward dyed after manufacture. The thread seems to be a uniform color with everything else; no real variation in color depth. It also looks like the haversack is made of denim material, and while I have never attempted to track the contract years, all I can recall were dated 1942-43.

That said, most of the OD #7 redyes I see are much, much darker. But who is to know where or when that example was dyed for sure, and whether it was dyed at the same time the others were.

Nice example whatever the case.

RC

Costa,

I ll check it tomorrow. I think, I can make it out better with daylight. Maybe I can take more pics.

I would say as Rusty Canteen put it, it's had a OD # 7 dye job done to it. The M28 pack system was pretty much done in 1943 and replace by the M1943 jungle pack and M1944 pack system. I have seen and do own a 1944 dated M1910 T-handle shovel cover and a 1944 dated OD #7 meat can pouch but never seen a 1944 dated M28 pack.

This M28 pack was a crappy pack system and was well needed for replacement in 1944

Acadien359

Guys,

The only M1928 packs I've ever seen that were made in OD green canvas [darker than OD #3, but still lighter than OD #7] were some of the British Made ones. However, I do have both a US made mess kit pouch and extender in factory OD #7 canvas and both pieces are dated 1944. I've seen a few over the years, obviously made for replacement purposes. If I can ever figure how to post photos I'll be glad to share pictures of the two.

Alan

RustyCanteen

Is the fabric twill? Thats unusual... :huh:

Not really; there were (apparently) a bunch of the haversacks made circa 1942; and I see the meat can pouches around too. 'Flageguy posted his uber rare canteen cover which I would consider very unusual in that it is the only example I can recall seeing: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/78146-rare-canteens-and-covers/?p=1004220

I noted the material above, which is why I feel pretty confident this is a redye job of an earlier pack and not one made OD #7 to begin with.

RC

RC,

The 1944 dated OD #7 meat can pouch have looks to be trimmed in nylon the same as Flageguys rare canteen cover was done.

'Flage Guy

As near as I can tell, fellas, that denim Canteen Cover is trimmed in the same old cotton tape that is used on the rest of the canvas goods. The photos in that discussion kind of give it that "slick" nylon appearance, though.

RC, thanks for linking that thread which I'd forgotten about. I just received a nice Mounted Canteen rig with a pretty odd Canteen in it.

O.D.#7 M28s are always interesting to talk over. Years ago I got a catalogue from a dealer in Colorado; when I got home and went through it, he had 3 O.D.#7 Haversacks listed- in mint condition, no less. I got on the phone immediately, but they were already gone.

That said, chances are as good as not that Krautpot's pack is the real O.D.#7 deal. Unless you can find places under the edge binding and other hard-to-uncover spots which were not penetrated by the dye, I'd say you got a winner there.

And Username, you're right...denim web gear is fairly uncommon, but it does show up. Most all of the denim gear I've seen were Rucksacks made by Meese or Simmons, and M1928 Haversacks and Carriers.

• 6 months later...

So what is the resolution on these denim haversacks? Are they actually less common than canvas examples, or is it just the OD#7 denim that is uncommon? Looking through my stuff I found an OD3# denim haversack with a 1942 date.

post-1940-0-99645000-1448055077.jpg

post-1940-0-56595900-1448055097.jpg