Found WWII camp range markers? What are they?

mmerc20

Good morning,

I'm trying to figure out what these recently found pieces are. They came from WWII Camp Butner and I'm curious if they might be range markers or something. Some have wood remains on them, some do not. One of the small ones is painted white and the large style one has no paint that I can see.

My first thought was one of the go/nogo paddles for rifle ranges but I don't know. Hopefully the pictures aren't too small.

Mike

post-3373-0-94172800-1431432588.jpg

post-3373-0-05992700-1431432602.jpg

Old Marine

I think they might be the markers the target pullers/markers used to show the shooter up on the line where his bullet hit ion the target.

post-2843-0-01640700-1431436042.jpg

Should be red and white panels. Normally used to mark right and left limits to individual firing lanes on a rifle range.

Target markers for those pulling targets in the pits as shown above and/or range officer paddles signifying ready/not ready on the firing line.

Their circular shape make me thin they were used by the target puller to mark where the rounds struck as noted above. The paddles used by safeties on the firing line where usually square. Where were they found may help shed some light as to what they were used for too. Where they down on the target line or behind what was the firing line?

I wish I knew where they were found. They were in our storage building with a bunch of other dug relics from the camp.

Look too small to be lollipops for marking strings of rapid fire

What's the diameter?

Linedoggie

Their circular shape make me thin they were used by the target puller to mark where the rounds struck as noted above. The paddles used by safeties on the firing line where usually square. Where were they found may help shed some light as to what they were used for too. Where they down on the target line or behind what was the firing line?

Every range AI marker I've ever seen was round not square, Ft. Dix, Drum, Hood, Sill, Campbell, FIG, Camp Smith, Cp Buckner, Edwards, Shelby...........

Every range AI marker I've ever seen was round not square, Ft. Dix, Drum, Hood, Sill, Campbell, FIG, Camp Smith, Cp Buckner, Edwards, Shelby...........

+1. Never saw square in 25+ years. (And I spent time on an AMU team.)