Is this a WWII parachute harness?

Flyer9314

I saw this item listed in an upcoming auction as a ejection seat. It doesn’t look like an ejection seat to me but I thought that it might be a WWII USAAF parachute harness, maybe a AN6510-1? Sorry for the poor photograph but that is all the auction had for the item. I haven't been able to check it out in person.

Thanks for any information that you can provide.

Flyer9314

post-62350-0-85570500-1431388802.jpg

pararaftanr2

Flyer9314,

I agree with your assessment. It appears to be an AN-6510-1 seat parachute with standard seat and back cushions attached.

Regards, Paul

Thanks for the information. Are there any specific marking on it that would confirm it as a WWII AN-6510-1. Are there other similar parachutes that are not WWII era?

pararaftanr2

Flyer9314,

Yes, there will be a data panel sewn to the outside of the canvas pack that contains the parachute canopy. It should provide you with the type of parachute. See example below.

You may find an identical looking rig labeled AN-6511-1, which differs only in having a 28' (rather than 24') canopy. The pack, harness and canopy (if present) should all have the date of manufacture ink-stamped on them.

Regards, Paul

post-9787-0-28240600-1431661382.jpg

Thanks Paul. I'll post photos if I win it at the auction.

Also you may find a small pouch on the back of the main pack that holds a log book.If the book is still there it may contain some information as to where it was serviced/inspected etc.