Late 1930's-very early 1940's USAAF Master Sergeant uniform

k bandow

Picked this up recently from a long time collector and friend of my father. This grouping all had come together, but sadly the man I bought it from didn't have a name. There is a laundry tag number, but sadly I got no results from searching. Love that pinwheel patch, but what I really love are all those hash marks! 3 WWI service stripes thrown in the mix, and a Mexican Border Campaign ribbon, WWI victory ribbon and an American Defense ribbon on the chest. The gentleman I bought it from said the DI is to a unit stationed of the Philippines? Any input on this uniform is appreciated!

post-24315-0-70330300-1431387875.jpg

Here is the laundry tag marking. And the washed out maker tag is in the same place as WWI tunics, under the bottom of the lining.

post-24315-0-49818100-1431388437.jpg

Nice unifom! Shouldn't be too hard to I.D. the DUI but finding the other one may be tough.

Luckily, 12thengr, the previous owner managed to source one! Sadly though, it is screw back vs. pin back, so it won't work on this jacket. If anyone does have a pinback, I would be happy to trade!

post-24315-0-12019400-1431388664.jpg

This shirt came with it. Very strange feel to the cotton. It does have a National Recovery Act tag in it, so that must date it to the 1930's and thus maybe not the best quality piece...

post-24315-0-50827200-1431389040.jpg

DI is the 4th Composite Group which indeed served in the Philipinnes. The unit was dissolved just before the war started, if I remember right, but most personnel stayed on, most becoming POW, MIA , or worse. Drop me a PM, I believe I have an exact match in pinback for trade.

Many thanks to all of you for the comments! So if this uniform is completely pre-1941, maybe he retired just in time to avoid conflict? Or maybe he was involved in the invasion of the Philippines?

• 2 weeks later...
Argonauts2

Very Nice Uniform. The 4 composite DIs turn up frequently on eBay. The pin backs are fairly common in the American maker. I will check as I may have a duplicate in my collection. The other badges on the uniform. I would be interested in learning if they are maker marked on the back and if so, we're they made by C. Zamora.?

Argonauts2

One more thing, you may want to hold onto the screw back DI for a Garrison cap or a campaign hat to go with your uniform. When you need one they are not are easy to find.