Hello,

I would like to duplicate this particular coat for my 1/6 scale marines I'm working on. In all the photos of the real thing, i cant see the pockets, if any. Does anyone have a reference photo that shows the pocket and the rear of the coat? Thank you ahead of time.

Cesar

post-5896-0-14215500-1431368621.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 02: Here is the pertinent text from the 1912 regulations describing the 1912 Enlisted Men’s Overcoat:

post-5143-0-82804000-1431403902.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 05: Front views of three different examples from various militaria dealer websites.

post-5143-0-10506500-1431404082.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 06: Back view of the above coats. Note that two examples have the rear belt while one does not. The majority of USMC overcoats that I have seen all had the half belt at the rear.

post-5143-0-39604100-1431404117.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 11: Various shades of forest green wool from a field cap, field coat, and overcoat.

I hope this helped …

post-5143-0-46152500-1431404339.jpg

Thanks ww1n for responding. Unfortunately i was thinking the pic i attached was the light blue overcoat from 1905 period? now i see the buttons are spread wider than the blue coat i saw in color on this forum. Its great to have the 1912 ref. Do you have any ref. On the blue overcoat?

Thanks!

I hope this helped …

This was an amazing tutorial on the overcoat. It is a great reference. Thanks for the hard work.

...Kat

world war I nerd

Thanks Kat ...

Hi Cesar,

I had a feeling that you were interested in the earlier USMC Overcoat of which I have no information on - or at least I don't think I do. I'll have a look, but I'm not optimistic.

world war I nerd

Photo No. 12: These were both labeled as Spanish American War period USMC Overcoats. I can’t say they are or are not as I just don’t have enough information on early USMC overcoats. Despite being described as USMC, it’s possible that he red lined overcoat on the left could be an Army overcoat lined in red for the artillery branch.

post-5143-0-64526800-1431474875.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 13: For comparison, here is a U.S. Army 1898 to 1902 Overcoat without cape.

Perhaps one of the forum’s USMC nerds can provide some information?

post-5143-0-17034400-1431474934.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 14: U.S. Army 1898 to 1902 Overcoat with cape and close up of the correct Army style button.

The 1898 style Army overcoat was described thusly in a 1901 dated military publication devoted to Army hygiene:

The double-breasted overcoat with adjustable cape, used in both the foot and mounted services of our Army, is made of sky-blue kersey and lined with dark blue flannel. It is much too thin for use in extremely cold weather, absorbs much moisture and is difficult to dry when wet. It is slit up in the back to an extent of twenty-one inches, and since the skirts are thin they readily blow aside and afford little protection in strong winds. The collar is rolling and has a width of about three and one-fourth inches. It would be a much better protection if it were about one and one-half inches wider. The lining of the cape varies in color according to the branch of service. The cape itself is not sufficiently long to be of any great value as a separate garment; its use for this purpose being sanctioned by custom, if not authorized in orders. The overcoat should be amply provided with pockets; there being at present only a single inside pocket. It is of great importance that this overcoat should be rendered water-proof by the use of lanolin, so as to enable the poncho to be dropped from the equipment.

The Theory and Practice of Military Hygiene, 1901, Captain Edward Lyman Munson, page 316 & 317

post-5143-0-00455600-1431474987.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 16: Army Quartermaster Department engraving of the above Overcoat with cape.

Sorry, it’s not much help, but it’s the best I could do …

post-5143-0-08929600-1431475071.jpg

this is perfect. it looks like there are no pocket flaps, just a slit for the interior pocket. Thanks for doing the leg work. i reached out to someone else who had a marine coat so its probably looks like this one. Thanks again.