Stoneburner

No, not the YouTube puppet show, but on the Regulation Riding Gloves and/or the Riding Boot used by officers on the Mexican Border. I am researching Captain P. Lincoln Mitchell, who led the 1st Sqaudron, Ohio Cavalry on the Border, and am trying to find resources on what his gloves and boots would have looked like and, hopefully, sources for originals or reproductions that would fit my XL hands and size 12 feet. I'm pretty confident in other aspects of his uniform and where to get items, but these have been vexing.

I've also attached a picture of Captain Mitchell taken on the Border, and if anyone has any info they can glean from it, please let me know. I won't say what I've gotten from it in the hopes that folks will say anything that comes to mind-just assume I didn't see anything helpful at all! :)

post-158478-0-17982500-1431358558.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give!

Officers purchased their own uniforms, so pretty much any early 20th Century russet leather riding boots and russet or tan leather gloves would be appropriate. Since he is from a state unit, there would likely be even more variety than you might find in a regular Army regiment.

world war I nerd

The Army issued 1905 Riding Gauntlets made from gray buckskin to all mounted troops. I don't think these were that popular during the Punitive Expedition, but they do show up in photographs of that campaign.

post-5143-0-47775400-1431408694.jpg

world war I nerd

In most cases officers and enlisted men wore private purchase russet leather gloves, which could appear in a myriad of styles. This particular example is from WW I.

post-5143-0-49785900-1431408787.jpg

world war I nerd

In regard to riding boots - a true pair of riding boots will not have any lacing either on the instep or at the top of the calf. They will also have a small shelf at the back of the heel on which the spur would rest as indicated by the inset. It also wasn't unusual for riding boots to have an adjustable narrow strap near the top of the boot.

post-5143-0-54031200-1431409032.jpg

world war I nerd

Riding boots also show up with lacing at the instep. The British Army referred to this style as an "Officer's Marching Boot", because the instep laces allowed the wearer to adjust the fit of the boot in that area to make it a bit more flexible, and thus more comfortable when walking.

In addition riding boots were also manufactured with laces on the upper half which allowed the wearer to adjust how the boots fit the calve of the leg.

Both of these styles were made with and without spur shelves and commonly worn by both mounted and dismounted officers.

post-5143-0-08456000-1431409409.jpg

world war I nerd

Riding/Marching boots featuring both a laced instep and upper were made as were various styles whose shafts were secured by a series of straps and buckles. Note the spur shelf on the latter style. These types would have been less common, but I have seen similar variations of both worn on the Punitive Expedition and in WW I.

I hope this helps ...

post-5143-0-32190400-1431409685.jpg

DesertRatTom

Have you called or written the Ft. Bliss Museum? They have a Punitive Expidition display- actually the whole museum and did have staff that would give or research correct answers to questions back around '05. Like all things army, things change all the time, so they may or may not be able to help you.

Stoneburner

Thank you for the information. I haven't been able to find a good picture of the gauntlets or private purchase gloves, so those in particular are great to see; from the picture of Capt. Mitchell, he appears to be wearing gloves that end at the wrist, so that's the direction I'll go in my search. I will also be contacting the Fort Bliss Museum. Thanks for the help, and anyone else, feel free to keep it coming!

To refine WWI nerd's posts on boots, the boots with the laces in the instep are known as "Field Boots". The ones without are "Dress Boots". In theory, and by regulation, field boots were worn in the field and dress boots worn in garrison or on parade. In reality, you see a lot of officers wearing dress boots in the field. Boots that laced all the way up were also fairly popular in the field in that period for officers. Also, while boots were probably most popular with Cavalry officers, you will find some wearing low boots and leather leggings.

As far as repro gear, if you want riding boots, you are going to have to have them made for your size 12 feet. I have not found any proper russet dress or field boots in any riding store catalogs. Be prepared to pay $600-$700 for a good pair of custom boots. You can get by with 1904 marching boots and leather leggings from Jerry Lee at What Price Glory (onlinemilitaria.net). On gloves, just get a good pair of deerskin gloves. You could also probably rework a pair of WWII riding gloves (WPG, WWII Impressions) The gauntlets sold by most of the Civil War sutlers are close, but the cuffs on them are still not quite right.

A great resource, if you can find a copy, is "The Pursuit of Pancho Villa - Uniforms and Equipment of the Last Campaign 1916" by William C. Machado. - Lots of great pics.

Stoneburner

To refine WWI nerd's posts on boots, the boots with the laces in the instep are known as "Field Boots". The ones without are "Dress Boots". In theory, and by regulation, field boots were worn in the field and dress boots worn in garrison or on parade. In reality, you see a lot of officers wearing dress boots in the field. Boots that laced all the way up were also fairly popular in the field in that period for officers. Also, while boots were probably most popular with Cavalry officers, you will find some wearing low boots and leather leggings.

As far as repro gear, if you want riding boots, you are going to have to have them made for your size 12 feet. I have not found any proper russet dress or field boots in any riding store catalogs. Be prepared to pay $600-$700 for a good pair of custom boots. You can get by with 1904 marching boots and leather leggings from Jerry Lee at What Price Glory (onlinemilitaria.net). On gloves, just get a good pair of deerskin gloves. You could also probably rework a pair of WWII riding gloves (WPG, WWII Impressions) The gauntlets sold by most of the Civil War sutlers are close, but the cuffs on them are still not quite right.

A great resource, if you can find a copy, is "The Pursuit of Pancho Villa - Uniforms and Equipment of the Last Campaign 1916" by William C. Machado. - Lots of great pics.

Thanks! I've found one pair of original dress boots online that might fit, but I'm hesitant to spend $200 without being able to try them on; I'm also hesitant to spend the money for a custom pair. Such is the life of a broke reenactor...

I was able to find Machado's book, used, on Amazon for about $20 with shipping, so it's on the way to me-twenty bucks I can do!

Thanks!