1st Marine Div patch with AA gun

Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

I picked up a batch of insignia that came from a career Marine who fought in WWII and Korea. It's mostly the chverons from before they added the crossed rifles.

But there were two 1st Marine Division patches including one with an anti-aircraft gun on it.

Were these just a novelty patch or did they actually put these on uniforms when the Marines still used shoulder patches? And who would have worn this patch?

Also shown is the regular 1st MarDiv patch that came with it - can this be dated?

thanks all....

1.jpg

2.jpg

1st Defense Battalion on the right. Don't know the other one.

John

Edit: Very sure they wore these on dress greens

Not a USMC collector but think both are WWII era, and are 1st M.A.C. Hdq'rs with star and Defense Bn. I like them both.

Bob Hudson

1st Defense Battalion on the right. Don't know the other one.

I was so caught up with the one with the gun I didn't even notice the center star on the other.

I was so caught up with the one with the gun I didn't even notice the center star on the other.

The one with the center star is First MAC for sure. I think without a star and a plain red background, it's 1st MAC HQ. Both are WWII I believe!

John

Old Marine

Nice patches. Yes they are authorized WWII USMC patches and they were indeed worn. They are the 1st Marine Amphibious Corps (MAC) Service and Supply and 1st MAC Anti-Aircraft Battalions.

There were about 6 more variations of that patch, HQ (Plain Diamond), Raiders (Skull), Parachute Bns (Parachute), Artillery Bns (Crossed Cannons), Aviation Engineers (Engr Castle w/wings), Barrage Balloon Bns (Balloon).

Dennis

mikes militaria

post-154336-0-11413800-1431661124.jpg

1st MAC variations

left to right: HQ, Raiders, Artillery, Paratroops, Service & Supply, Lower left: Defense BN, Lower right: Aviation Engineers.

mikes militaria

post-154336-0-88657300-1431661604.jpg

Top Middle: Felt Defense BN, Bottom Middle: Barrage Balloon BN and Artillery Gold Cannons variations

River Patrol

I got this direct from the Marine veteran...one of the few WW2 patches I own. He told me he joined the "big gun" artillery because the Japanese wouldn't attack them due to their fear of the gun's massive sound.

x27.jpg