DIRECT EMBROIDERED AND MODIFIED JUNGLE JACKET

Klaxon

I've had this poplin jungle jacket for a while and always thought it was interesting. Named with direct embroidery to a Lt. Col. Andrews. Unfortunately the SSI has been removed. From the shadow it could be a lot of things. If he was in VN then a few patches match the size of the shadow (nickel beside to show scale). USARVN I thought might be the most likely based on his BOS. Master Parachutist Wing so I'm guessing Airborne at some point in his career. It's had epaulettes added in ripstop and you can see holes from where DI's were affixed so maybe he was stationed in the ROK. I've tried searching with his name, rank and BOS but no hits.

post-104659-0-12702000-1431278879.jpg

Tailor added ripstop epaulettes with holes from DI's and SSI shadow with coin for scale.

post-104659-0-17012900-1431279035.jpg

Andrews. You can see a shadow of where tapes had been on both the right and left hand sides.

post-104659-0-71048700-1431279390.jpg

Reverse side of the collar embroidery with green thread for the underside. Never seen that done before.

post-104659-0-65745800-1431279493.jpg

Vietnam Veterans Database

Name: ANDREWS D M

Branch: ARMY

Rate: O05

MOS: 3170

MOS Title: General Dentistry Officer

Entered: 5909

Discharged: 760802

Service Number:

State: UNKNOWN

Race: CAUCASIAN

He comes up on a search here on the first site at the top, but I don't know how to navigate once I open the site.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=lieutenant+colonel+DM+Andrews+vietnam&spell=1

Thanks Patches for the lead. I'll do some more digging with the info you gave me.

Hi Owen,

I put a 25th Med. patch up to it and the shadows much bigger. That's why I thought it might be USARVN.

Found a bit more info on Col. Andrews from this obit. Says he served in VN late war '72-'73. Cool that he with Special Forces in its early days.

Memoriam

Remembering Col./Dr. D.M. Andrews 3/30/1934 - 2/29/2012 Graduated from Ohio State School of Dentistry (1959), entered U.S. Army Dental Corps (1959), Master Parachutist, one of the first Army dentists accepted by the newly formed Special Forces/Green Berets (1961-68). Service with them at Fort Bragg, NC and Bad Tolz, Germany. General Dentistry Fellowship (1969-71), Ft. Lewis, WA. Served in Korea (1960-61), and Vietnam (1972-73). Your family misses you and remembers gratefully these times of your military service. -Nancy March Andrews; daughter, Amy Andrews; sons, Dr. David Andrews, Thomas Andrews, Jonathan Andrews. - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dayton/obituary.aspx?pid=163356425#sthash.vs5wkuXu.dpuf

Newly formed in '61??? SF (10th Grp) was activated 19 June 1952 at Ft Bragg. They sailed to Germany in December of 1953..

Bay state militaria was selling some Andrews items a while back, I think they still have one direct embroidered shirt for sale.

This is a nice one, added eppulettes is always cool

Posted Today, 05:52 PM

Bay state militaria was selling some Andrews items a while back, I think they still have one direct embroidered shirt for sale.

This is a nice one, added eppulettes is always cool
Hi 63Recon, Yes you're right there's one jj jacket similar to mine but "68 dated and in ripstop on the site. No SSI so sadly no closer to figuring out what patch that ghost is from. Thanks.

• 5 years later...

Awesome score Alessandro. Nice to know he was part of the 5th group. The beret is really great. Does the JJ have a SSI?

Hi from Italy, Klaxon and nice to meet you ! No , the jungle jacket has no sign on the arm ... the green cap is locally produced I think because it has a flash on the right side 

On 10/2/2020 at 10:55 AM, Alessandro said:

Hi from Italy, Klaxon and nice to meet you ! No , the jungle jacket has no sign on the arm ... the green cap is locally produced I think because it has a flash on the right side 

Hi Alessandro,

Nice to meet you too. Your right the beret is definitely Vietnam made.  

cheers