German M40 and M42 bringbacks

GeneralCheese

GeneralCheese

I got these today at the estate auction of Harold Eaton a Navy vet who lived just down the road from me. Unfortunately I never met him, but I do know he was on the USS Parle in both Europe and the Pacific. I got his Navy uniforms and an inflatable belt all named to him, which will be posted sometime soon. As for the helmets, they are an M40 and M42, with a WWI shoulder board I found tucked in the liner of the M42. Enjoy

post-30085-0-93700400-1431221017.jpg

Those are very nice. Was there much interest in them at the auction or do people tend to shy away from German WW2 items? I see them as a very interesting pieces of history.

GeneralCheese

Those are very nice. Was there much interest in them at the auction or do people tend to shy away from German WW2 items? I see them as a very interesting pieces of history.

Thanks. There was almost 0 interest, I was the only bidder beside another who was online. In fact, there was a Nazi banner, which before they auctioned off, the auctioneer said how just because someone buys it doesn't mean they are a Nazi, that they are just interested in history and helping preserve it.

USCapturephotos

Oh man. I'm jealous. I especially love the fact that the Navy veteran wrote his name on the liner. Great finds!

Paul

GeneralCheese

I neglected to ask - are they both single decal helmets?

Yes - the only double decal M40/M42 helmets were Police, Heer/Kriegsmarine/Luftwaffe were all single decal on M40/M42. There are rumors of double decal M40s but I've never seen one.

Thanks. I didn't know that about single/double decals. I heard that towards the war's end they went out without decals.

GeneralCheese

"N. Szymanski," is a Polish name. Do you have any idea where they were picked up?

Unfortunately I do not.

Great pick ups. The M40 has a very unusual chin strap. But they are a great looking pair of Helms!!!

Congrats!

Semper Fi

Phil

GeneralCheese

Wow great stuff! Looking forward to seeing the whole group!

Thanks! I will take pictures of the uniforms and everything else once I take it out of the freezer. I saw lots of dead bugs in the box, so hopefully if any were alive and in hiding they won't be for long.

GeneralCheese

Great pick ups. The M40 has a very unusual chin strap. But they are a great looking pair of Helms!!!

Congrats!

Semper Fi

Phil

It does... I have no idea if it is a war-time replacement, but it is very old. The strap itself has some English writing on it.

post-30085-0-53275300-1431290202.jpg

post-30085-0-14746100-1431290203.jpg

post-30085-0-74703500-1431290203.jpg

Great finds. I have always favored the M42's and the Tranny's. I have seen only one M40 DD that was verified being legit.

Very nice,

Sarge

"N. Szymanski," is a Polish name. Do you have any idea where they were picked up?

Probably a West or East Prussian or a Silesian.

• 2 months later...
Garandomatic

Interesting that the numerals on the shoulder board have the same kind of stitching as the theater-made patch on my most recent uniform, a 191st Tank Battalion guy.

• 2 weeks later...